Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter Pistol or Launcher

Re: Starter Pistol or Launcher

I used the RRT launcher that uses ramshot 22 blanks. It makes a good noise but not too lound, it doesnt look like a gun so you can use it a few more places as well. Launches bumpers and fake ducks a good 100yds with high power loads. Only took a few shots to get my pup used to the noise, now it makes her super excited when she hears or sees guns. I held her on heel and my buddy shot it a few times from 20yds or so, then I shot it, took ten minutes and my dog never even blinked, she was focused on the bumper. Launcher leaves hands free as well.

Like Foxton, I introduced gunshot like noise to my pup the week I got her. For inside the house I did the "noise" while she was eating her meals. I used a starter's pistol fired off in the garage at first and then in the laundry room close to where she eats. What I also did was find gunshot noises on the computer, turned the speakers up as loud as they could go, and let her rip. Bet a lot of people have never thought of it before but it works!

Outside I started off with a a 20 ga. fired as far a 75 yards away and eventually moved closer. This was when she was about 3 months old. At 2 years of age, she's heard 100s of shots now.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Like Foxton, I introduced gunshot like noise to my pup the week I got her. For inside the house I did the "noise" while she was eating her meals. I used a starter's pistol fired off in the garage at first and then in the laundry room close to where she eats. What I also did was find gunshot noises on the computer, turned the speakers up as loud as they could go, and let her rip. Bet a lot of people have never thought of it before but it works!

Outside I started off with a a 20 ga. fired as far a 75 yards away and eventually moved closer. This was when she was about 3 months old. At 2 years of age, she's heard 100s of shots now.

Gun shots on the computer is a great idea! Starter pistol in the laundry room not so much lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

My pups are home raised. I leave the outdoor channel on 24/7 in the whelping room. Some of the first things they hear when the ears open is gunshots. This works well because they are not constant so don't just become part of the background noise.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    My pups are home raised. I leave the outdoor channel on 24/7 in the whelping room. Some of the first things they hear when the ears open is gunshots. This works well because they are not constant so don't just become part of the background noise.
    Any of them ever want you to change the channel since they keep showing the same program over and over again??

Since you are training alone I would go with a remote launcher. The important part is to do the introduction in a gradual and controlled manner and having the dog associate gunfire with positive experiences like this:

You can do the same with a remote launcher by having it behind you and dog and working back towards it. The steps are:

1. Load shot in launcher, don't load mark
    2. Walk out 100m facing 180 degrees from the launcher
    3. Throw fun bumper and release dog
    4. Fire launcher while dog is running out to the bumper
    5. Load shot in launcher, don't load mark
    6. Walk out 80m facing 180 degrees from the launcher

Take it slow and don't try and do it all in one session or day.

On the subject of noise maker substitutions, I like using the air bags that come in packages from online stores like Amazon. To simulate a shot you just squeeze the bag until it bursts. It's safe to use indoors and in areas where walking around with a starter pistol will freak people out.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Any of them ever want you to change the channel since they keep showing the same program over and over again??
    No but I think the know how to hit rewind lol
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Jessie got introduced to bird boy thrown birds with a starter pistol last weekend. She loved it.

Yesterday I took Jessie to our first training day with Salt Chuck HRC. Pretty sure I learned more than she did. It was great. She got plenty of exposure to Guns " poppers".

After a bit of work on walking singles in another field, I was able to take Jessie to where we could see the main field and observe other dogs being run. We progressively moved closer to the line. She could easily see the birds being launched and hear the gunfire. She would tug and try to go when she saw the birds.

While we were in the holding blinds, she was trying to peak when she heard the duck calls and gunfire. When it was her turn, I asked for someone else to be the gunner on my right while Jess was on my left. She did three singles with the gun and took off hard each time when I released her. We have a long way to go but I think the best thing I can say is she nearly comes out of her skin wanting to retreive the bird and no adverse reaction to tge gunfire. She's was very happy and super excited when she got her turn to run. Was so much fun for both of us.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 01-07-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    Gun shots on the computer is a great idea! Starter pistol in the laundry room not so much lol
    Ever quack a Bumper Boy in the laundry room... all hell breaks loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Jessie got introduced to bird boy thrown birds with a starter pistol last weekend. She loved it.

Yesterday I took Jessie to our first training day with Salt Chuck HRC. Pretty sure I learned more than she did. It was great. She got plenty of exposure to Guns " poppers".

After a bit of work on walking singles in another field, I was able to take Jessie to where we could see the main field and observe other dogs being run. We progressively moved closer to the line. She could easily see the birds being launched and hear the gunfire. She would tug and try to go when she saw the birds.

While we were in the holding blinds, she was trying to peak when she heard the duck calls and gunfire. When it was her turn, I asked for someone else to be the gunner on my right while Jess was on my left. She did three singles with the gun and took off hard each time when I released her. We have a long way to go but I think the best thing I can say is she nearly comes out of her skin wanting to retreive the bird and no adverse reaction to tge gunfire. She's was very happy and super excited when she got her turn to run. Was so much fun for both of us.
    You can't go wrong training with the Salt Chuck group!