Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting or discharge of firearm in close proximity to the BC/US Border.

Re: Hunting or discharge of firearm in close proximity to the BC/US Border.

Once very long time ago Dad and I were out fox hunting and rabbit hunting in Manitoba. We were, like always, in the government station wagon with the dogs, guns etc. Eventually we found ourselves on a small quarter section road that turned into a one humper and then into a trail across a field. We followed it and eventually it turned into a quarter section road and then hiway. We rolled into town and thought gee sure a lot of North Dakota plates on these vehicles. Soon we realized we has made a bit of a boo boo.
    Dad went to the Canadian border and explained what happened to the Canadian border guard. He turned us around and sent us back to the American Border Guard.
    They were mad as hell. Guns dogs, government vehicle, kid, all causing much angst. Not wishing to make a international incident out of it, they asked for the information on how we got across undetected in exchange for a free pass back home. Importantly we were both American citizens and Landed Immigrants in Canada.

I remember Dad being more than a little upset at this whole fiasco. But I am sure many cross the line by mistake.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

I appreciate the ability to travel relatively freely into the US whenever I want. I won't do anything to compromise that and this is why I ask the questions. Several people have viewed this and nobody has been able to point out a specific law or regulation stating that you can't hunt or discharge a firearm in close proximity to the Can/US border. If I did shoot an animal and it did hop the fence before expiring, I would try what I could do from the Canadian side but I will not cross that border without authorization to do so. At the very least if a Game Warden was called to the scene, and I the game wasn't retrieved for me, I would hope the carcass be used in some capacity. The place was a lot more rational before 9/11 - nowadays, I wouldn't even dare point a firearm in the direction of the USA.

You can discharge a firearm standing right beside the canadian US border on canada grounds on crown land as long as your the safe distance from a dwelling
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Here is a funny one on the border. If in Tsawassen and you want to cross into the USA. FYI, they messed up on the 49th parallel by about 750 feet. Go to google earth and you'll see what I mean. We got shorted on land. google Earth displays coordinates. If they messed up there, They could have messed up anywhere along the border so you could be in the USA without even knowing it or vice versa. What I would like to see is someone challenge the border before Trumpsky puts up a wall.