Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting or discharge of firearm in close proximity to the BC/US Border.

Re: Hunting or discharge of firearm in close proximity to the BC/US Border.

That is a great story Nog. Couldn't have scripted it much better as far as being able to prove what actually happened.

Probably didn't hurt that you were dual either.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

It's not worth the hassle. I'm just as leery shooting an animal near any large portion of private property.

Try explaining the animal ended up on their property.... it's not easy. And I dont blame the ranchers for being hard nosed, they deal with with a lot of idiots.

If you happen to be in cell service while looking at your kill on the other side of the border, a call to the CO to see what you're allowed to do wouldn't be a bad idea, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredchev View Post
    It's not worth the hassle. I'm just as leery shooting an animal near any large portion of private property.

Try explaining the animal ended up on their property.... it's not easy. And I dont blame the ranchers for being hard nosed, they deal with with a lot of idiots.
    I tend to agree. I have a deal with a rancher in the Kootenay area. I do everything I can to be zero impact while on his land. I doubt I would readily allow people I don’t personally know very well to wander around my property shooting at things!

One reason I don't hunt the boarder is if you are hunting along the canadian boarder you shot a deer or elk good chance the animal can run across into the USA even with a solid shot on the animal..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

I was retrieving a trail cam in July near the border and 1.5hrs drive from nearest town. I ran into a couple with overnight gear very close to the border. I watched and waited by the "trail" until they were 30 yards away to say hello.

They were spooked as all hell and asked if I was with the border patrol on account of my tactical looking shotgun I carried.

Turned out they wandered across the cut line and spent a couple of nights in the USA wilderness.

No one ever saw them. No one came to question them.

I was out deer hunting near the border out of Trail area years ago when i saw a nice herd of elk with a big bull , they were about 200 meters away off a logging road across a fence . Pretty soon a truck comes along behind me and a guy jumps out and takes a shot at the bull , first shot .. clean miss , low , second shot , solid hit bull staggers and is about done for , he shoot again and down goes the bull . So i walk over to the guy and say oh , I guess you got a draw and he says yes . I say you know the bull is in the USA ... he didn't know that . Anyhow i gave him a hand cutting it up and packing it out .

I know a "guy" who hopped the border in hope to get his trash chasing hounds. Probably about 500+ yards on the US side. Nothing happened and no fly overs, etc.

This year I shot my antelope about 300 yds north of the border. The road we were on is on the us side. I got out of the truck and made sure I walked north. Lol. It didn’t take long for the border patrol to show up but they respectively watched from a distance instead of ruining my stalk. A friend of mine said that farm neighbors on both sides of the border must use the border crossing. He also said they’ve got blackhawks, drones and some kind of motion sensors along the border.

To answer the OP, I'm pretty sure firing a bullet into a neighboring Country may be considered an act of war....

I've killed several animals within spittin' distance of the border... never had one get over the line, was watched from above several times, no problems.

When I was a little kid, first time chasing Pronghorns in Alberta, we ended up in the true SE corner.

Being a proud Albertan, the urge hit. I climbed up the corner post and took a piss into Sask. and Montana.
    Not sure why but it felt like the right thing to do.