Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Illuminated Sights

Using Illuminated Sights

The Regs say that we cannot use a light or illuminating device to hunt. Page 15, Sec 32. I'm guessing that means external light or illuminating device and that it is legal to use battery operated illuminated recticle inside scope (makes the cross hairs light up) or battery operated illuminated archery pins on a bow or crossbow. Does anyone know for certain?

Thanks
    aka...THE MOOSE WHISPERER

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Using Illuminated Sights

What is the wording in the Wildlife Act?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Exacy the same wording.

Also checked definitions of light and illuminating device. Nothing there.

Interesting post. It never really crossed my mind, but I have a fiber optic front site on my 12ga, fiber optic and LED light on the bow (never had a need to use the LED while hunting) ... I own a red dot sight too... haven't hunted with it yet but it has crossed my mind.

I guess the only way to find out for certain is to email the ministry and get their interpretation.

I would imagine "spirit of the law" is to prevent people from using lights to spot/stun animals, but letter of the law always for some mission creep.

What about using a light to help detect the blood trail of wounded game?

Thinking back to the CORE book, I am trying to remember if things like red dot sites or using a light on a blood trail are discussed? Though not legally binding in itself it might clarify scope of "spirit of the law".

As a person who takes everything literally, the way some laws are written drives me a little bonkers

What about thermal imaging scopes? They don't illuminate the animal but they create an illuminated image for the hunter to view. Is that any different?

The video below is obviously NOT Canada law friendly but it would sure be nice to be able to handle ranching issues this way.

https://youtu.be/6YPS00lU7rQ
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Posting the relevant text might get a decent response.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Hi...the text in both reg synopsis and Act is same as my post. Illegal to hunt with "light or illimunating device".

Here is the exact excerpt from the Wildlife Act:

Hunting, trapping and firearm prohibitions

26 (1) A person commits an offence if the person hunts, takes, traps, wounds or kills wildlife
    (a) that is an endangered species or threatened species,
    (b) in a wildlife sanctuary,
    (c) at a time not within the open season,
    (d) with a firearm or a bow during the prohibited hours,
    (e) by the use or with the aid of a light or illuminating device,
    (f) with poison,
    (g) with a set gun, or
    (h) with a pump, repeating or auto loading shotgun unless the magazine contains a plug that is incapable of removal except by disassembling the gun, and that makes the magazine incapable of holding more than 2 cartridges.
    (2) Subsection (1) (c), (d), (e) and (h) does not apply to a person who hunts or traps wildlife that is on the person's property and is a menace to a domestic animal or bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
    What about thermal imaging scopes? They don't illuminate the animal but they create an illuminated image for the hunter to view. Is that any different?

The video below is obviously NOT Canada law friendly but it would sure be nice to be able to handle ranching issues this way.

https://youtu.be/6YPS00lU7rQ
    "(2) Subsection (1) (c), (d), (e) and (h) does not apply to a person who hunts or traps wildlife that is on the person's property and is a menace to a domestic animal or bird.Z"

They let you handle ranching issues.

To the OP. Pretty sure the law is for pit-lamping. There are exemptions for that too.