Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using Illuminated Sights

Re: Using Illuminated Sights

Why even go here.....non issue. The intent with reg is aimed at preventing pit lamping, nothing to do with optics during legal hunting hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
    What about thermal imaging scopes? They don't illuminate the animal but they create an illuminated image for the hunter to view. Is that any different?

The video below is obviously NOT Canada law friendly but it would sure be nice to be able to handle ranching issues this way.

https://youtu.be/6YPS00lU7rQ
    Thermal imaging would only really be useful after legal shooting light anyways, wouldnt it? So the shooting hours reg kind of rules out the night vision scopes.

But sitting out on a hillside and scouting with night vision binoculars would probably be pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Here is the exact excerpt from the Wildlife Act:

Hunting, trapping and firearm prohibitions

26 (1) A person commits an offence if the person hunts, takes, traps, wounds or kills wildlife
    (a) that is an endangered species or threatened species,
    (b) in a wildlife sanctuary,
    (c) at a time not within the open season,
    (d) with a firearm or a bow during the prohibited hours,
    (e) by the use or with the aid of a light or illuminating device,
    (f) with poison,
    (g) with a set gun, or
    (h) with a pump, repeating or auto loading shotgun unless the magazine contains a plug that is incapable of removal except by disassembling the gun, and that makes the magazine incapable of holding more than 2 cartridges.
    (2) Subsection (1) (c), (d), (e) and (h) does not apply to a person who hunts or traps wildlife that is on the person's property and is a menace to a domestic animal or bird.

Thanks, that's what we needed. Getting the actual text of the regulation posted always makes things easier to understand.

The regulation says "Illuminating" and not "Illuminated" so I would say illuminated scopes, pins and red dots are good to go. Unless your reticle projects it's illumination

The regulations are clearly about pit lamping and not optics. But it's always good to check.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

just like having a loaded gun resting on the truck tire

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Thermal imaging would only really be useful after legal shooting light anyways, wouldnt it? So the shooting hours reg kind of rules out the night vision scopes.

But sitting out on a hillside and scouting with night vision binoculars would probably be pretty cool
    I've got a spot where I'm often limited by the amount of available light in the evening. I can often make out deer when there is easily 30 minutes of legal shooting left but even big optics won't let me count the tines at 300 yards in this spot or even define bucks from does. The cost of the thermal scope is a little out of my budget though.
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Slinky Pickle View Post
    I've got a spot where I'm often limited by the amount of available light in the evening. I can often make out deer when there is easily 30 minutes of legal shooting left but even big optics won't let me count the tines at 300 yards in this spot or even define bucks from does. The cost of the thermal scope is a little out of my budget though.
    Bring one in from the states, they're cheaper down there

Lol. Jk. Dont try to do that!

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Thermal imaging would only really be useful after legal shooting light anyways, wouldnt it?
    Or in the mountains, dense woods, on overcast/rainy days when getting towards last light. I'd say most of the areas I hunt at some point in the day they'd be handy.

I spoke with a CO a few years ago to clarify the using a "light" as I wanted to use a laser scope on a .22 for grouse. He consulted with other CO's and they concurred that lasers were ok. The laws were written a long time ago - before lasers or other technology like illuminated scopes. Not sure if the laws were updated since then.