Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predator Calling Tips

Predator Calling Tips

For the newbie predator hunter where do we start?
    Wolves/cougars/coyotes/linx/bobcats.

Pros/cons of mouth calls vs electronics?

What calls are you using?

I have a gun, boots, snowmobile,

Can someone help me (newbie) understand unlawful #18 in hunting regs.
    Last edited by rageous; 12-17-2018 at 03:24 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Predator Calling Tips

Nothing more rewarding then whacking dogs using and calls...I'm lazy these days got a fox pro

Electronic calls are the best imo and allow you to set the call up away from yourself so the animals don't pin you down. It helps to have a squeaker as well to stop them once they're in range.

Good thread. Im hoping to get out a couple times this winter and find some coyotes

Here's my coyote from earlier in the year:

Has anyone used a hand held like this one? I bought this for my dad a few xmases ago and I don't think he has ever used it. I was thinking of maybe borrowing it and trying it out. Thoughts?
    It does get very effin' loud!

Last edited by twoSevenO; 12-17-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Twoseven0, you shoot guns with bolt on the proper side! Nice yote

Nice yote!

couple weeks back I brought some bones from my whitetail out to the bush to feed the birds. Was only going 500m down the fsr off the highway, so no need for a rifle.

Well about 500m off highway down the fsr was a big grey color wolf sitting in the middle of the road and in absolute no rush to move.... I felt pretty stupid staring at this wolf with no gun...my dumb move of 2018.

Would have been my first wolf as I have either missed or not able to shoot the wolves I’ve seen.

Hope to drop some dogs myself this winter.

Good luck out there dog hunters

Quote Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
    Twoseven0, you shoot guns with bolt on the proper side! Nice yote
    X2 .... lefties unite!

I mostly target yotes but this winter I’ve been dabbling with following cat tracks and setting up, with no luck yet. Pretty confident it’ll pay off eventually.

I typically hunt yotes over private land, large open fields. Prefer using the mouth call for its reach as it’s louder than my entry level e caller. Primos Ki-Yi and Fox Pro Inferno... IMO more satisfaction hand calling too. E caller obviously has the benefit of getting the dogs attention off your location.

My preffered set up is putting the e caller and decoy away from my location. Start with the hand caller to reach far and subsequent calls are done by the e caller (I realize that’s backwards to most). I use a dirt cheap foam rabbit but that seems to be enough that they usually lock in on it. Set one of your presets to coyote distress and immediately play after the shot. If there’s yotes running away it’ll usually stop them or even pull the dead yotes partner out of the bush.

Certainly no need for an e caller if you don’t want to drop a bunch of cash tho. For years I only used the Ki-Yi with good success. Pretty easy critters to call in really, providing it’s a good spot. I’ve even called them in with my voice by imitating a dying something; just make sure you don’t have buddies with you cause I gaureentee somebody will start laughing lol.

There's a ton of great info on calling out there...do some google searches. Predator Masters forum is a great resource.

Have patience, there's a lot of times where hunters have packed up and walking back to the truck when a predator is just arriving to their setup. Watch the wind, and try not to move too much, stick to the shadows. Shoot off a solid rest like a bipod, tripod or shooting stick.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

I have had success calling wolfs just buy cupping my hands over my mouth and howling. It takes some practice to get that octave drop.
    I recently purchased a "wolf howler" by E.L.K. I haven't had much field time with it yet but it sounds very realistic. https://www.elkinc.com/the-wolf-howler/
    I would like to try an electronic call one day.