Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling wolves in

Calling wolves in

So picked up a new electronic call, now my question is how often do you call and for how long? Let’s say you find an area with lots of sign of recent activity, so you set up the call, do you just start calling full blast or halfway? And go for 30 seconds or? Also there are several calls in there, do you stick with the same one “wolf locator” or?
    we are heading up after Christmas to go put a dent in their population hopefully! Any help would be awesome!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Calling wolves in

I like to start low volume with a prey distress sound (rabbit or fawn), for 30 seconds or so then mute it for a few minutes. You could then increase the volume and stick to the distress or throw in some wolf or coyote vocalizations. Using coyote sounds will trigger both the territorial/competition of the wolf, and also represent another prey species. Using wolf locator would be best when driving around, calling from the truck to try and locate some wolves to hunt.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    So picked up a new electronic call, now my question is how often do you call and for how long? Let’s say you find an area with lots of sign of recent activity, so you set up the call, do you just start calling full blast or halfway? And go for 30 seconds or? Also there are several calls in there, do you stick with the same one “wolf locator” or?
    we are heading up after Christmas to go put a dent in their population hopefully! Any help would be awesome!
    What is a "wolf locator" call? Would like to get one...

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunterFSJ View Post
    What is a "wolf locator" call? Would like to get one...
    As you drive in the bush simply sound your vehicle horn repeatedly in the standard SOS pattern and they will start running.

I actually thought electronic calls were illegal for hunting - hmmm, maybe that was 25 years ago.

Do we have wolves here in the LML?

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    As you drive in the bush simply sound your vehicle horn repeatedly in the standard SOS pattern and they will start running.

I actually thought electronic calls were illegal for hunting - hmmm, maybe that was 25 years ago.

Do we have wolves here in the LML?
    Electronics for predators is legal and yes there is wolves in the lower mainland. Only wolf seasons are in western region 2

since 2005 you can use electronics for coyote, wolf, cougar, lynx and bobcat
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Electronics for predators is legal and yes there is wolves in the lower mainland. Only wolf seasons are in western region 2
    Well there you go - I learned something today. Thanks. I don't think I've seen a wolf down here but I'll have to pay more attention now. I also will look for dog collars on whatever I think is a wolf until I can identify a wolf in the wild since I hunt relatively close to homes and roads. I don't want to pull the trigger on somone's pet.

Well there you go - I learned something today. Thanks. I don't think I've seen a wolf down here but I'll have to pay more attention now. I also will look for dog collars on whatever I think is a wolf until I can identify a wolf in the wild since I hunt relatively close to homes and roads. I don't want to pull the trigger on somone's pet.
    Cant hunt them down here anyways. 2-6, 2-11, etc.

Watch and practice alpha male calling. You will need open space to be successful. I prefer frozen lakes. What area are you heading too?
    Wolves don't like other wolves in their area. Practice the long single howl. Wait 10 minutes and try again. If they hear you they will answer back. No answer back move 2 kms and try again.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Whatever you do, if you connect just sit tight and wait. Might be an hour but one or more of the pack will come looking for the missing member. Especially true if one of the dominant pair.

Doubling up is better than getting the first one!