Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 76

Thread: Cougars On Cam

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    139

    Re: Cougars On Cam

    Bownut actually posted a thread regarding baiting. You guys got it shut down. Ethics of baiting could be debated in a civil matter. Calling him a midget and anti hunter doesn’t really show respect or maturity in return. BC hunters have the right and obligation to question our regulations and ethics used in harvest methods. There are some long term and very invasive baiting sites out there and not pointing fingers here. If a hunter notices predators cruising their bait for the deer and elk it attracts should alarms be going off in your head? And yes Bownut is correct about a long term bait site drawing wolves into the city limits of an okanagan town. I’ve also heard some bait sites growing noxious weeds from the products bought and used for the bait. Love the pics OP... underlying issues around baiting will certainly continue and we should all recognize them.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    282

    Re: Cougars On Cam

    Those cougars all appear healthy. Nice to see.

    There’s far more important things to focus on nowadays in our hunting community Al.

    I have 12 trail cameras now. I have been using trail cameras for about 8 years. I’ve got two cougars on my cams over that time period. I get lots of deer ranging from young to old. I’ve never found any predator kills in the areas I hunt. Any deer we’ve been lucky enough to get have never been on our cameras either.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,380

    Re: Cougars On Cam

    Quote Originally Posted by RobU View Post
    Bownut actually posted a thread regarding baiting. You guys got it shut down. Ethics of baiting could be debated in a civil matter. Calling him a midget and anti hunter doesn’t really show respect or maturity in return. BC hunters have the right and obligation to question our regulations and ethics used in harvest methods. There are some long term and very invasive baiting sites out there and not pointing fingers here. If a hunter notices predators cruising their bait for the deer and elk it attracts should alarms be going off in your head? And yes Bownut is correct about a long term bait site drawing wolves into the city limits of an okanagan town. I’ve also heard some bait sites growing noxious weeds from the products bought and used for the bait. Love the pics OP... underlying issues around baiting will certainly continue and we should all recognize them.
    We didn't shut down his thread, the mods did to be clear....not members.
    Bownut is his own worst enemy.
    If he would learn a little diplomacy and tact he would probably get a little respect.
    Turned another thread into a train wreck.


    I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright


    "Statistics are like women; mirrors of purest virtue and truth, or like whores to use as one pleases". ~Theodor Billroth

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Cougars On Cam

    So, got to ask.
    Do you ever go out there to hunt Cats?

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,097

    Re: Cougars On Cam

    Every winter the paper prints a column about supplementary feeding Of deer...all bownuts points are stated by officials...
    locals here almost had a lynching for neighbor who was feeding. Damn cougar we’re running the dogs the ladies were walking..good place to run a Tom.
    Your camera only takes a pic of a small % of the area.
    I learned years ago that the cats here were conditioned to highways dumping roadkill at a location..23 years never fails find a track there...still find a track there. Just like a street person on Hastings and main..they know the spots to look.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”CS Lewis

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,097

    Re: Cougars On Cam

    It’s a good spot to put up a cam.. never get a deer always get a cougar
    Last edited by horshur; 12-20-2018 at 07:15 PM.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”CS Lewis

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    394

    Re: Cougars On Cam

    Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    We didn't shut down his thread, the mods did to be clear....not members.
    Bownut is his own worst enemy.
    If he would learn a little diplomacy and tact he would probably get a little respect.
    Turned another thread into a train wreck.
    Respect you say, you have called me every name under the sun, and you want my respect. Give your head a shake!
    I bet you wouldn't say those things to my face.

    I can post as much information on the changes we all have to face as Hunters it's all out there.
    I have been attacked by many on this site for asking the questions that effect wildlife and may be a driver in the declines.
    Go back and read my past post when Goatguy and fisherdude went at me. Their Data isn't so believable anymore is it?
    All they could say was "Where's My Science"

    Here's one for you to:

    BC Outdoors Volume 72 Number 5 Sept Issue
    2017 Hunting Forecast Pg. 25
    Okanagan Ungulates
    Elk are doing well in R8
    Mule deer are doing really well in this region and hunter harvest continues to climb.
    Recent wildfires on low elevation winter ranges will have a positive impact on deer habitat and hunting may even get better.
    White tails are also doing well and spring surveys found their numbers to be stable even with the month long doe season.

    How can we now be crying about all the declines and blame it on habitat two years later?
    Where's the science? Ask your Bio friends whats up.

    I know all to well about the study that is going on and I have looked at the outcome that some states are seeing as a result.
    Nothing new here.

    As far as me being my worst enemy, there are many frustrated hunter asking the same questions.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,380

    Re: Cougars On Cam

    Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    Respect you say, you have called me every name under the sun, and you want my respect. Give your head a shake!
    I bet you wouldn't say those things to my face.

    I can post as much information on the changes we all have to face as Hunters it's all out there.
    I have been attacked by many on this site for asking the questions that effect wildlife and may be a driver in the declines.
    Go back and read my past post when Goatguy and fisherdude went at me. Their Data isn't so believable anymore is it?
    All they could say was "Where's My Science"

    Here's one for you to:

    BC Outdoors Volume 72 Number 5 Sept Issue
    2017 Hunting Forecast Pg. 25
    Okanagan Ungulates
    Elk are doing well in R8
    Mule deer are doing really well in this region and hunter harvest continues to climb.
    Recent wildfires on low elevation winter ranges will have a positive impact on deer habitat and hunting may even get better.
    White tails are also doing well and spring surveys found their numbers to be stable even with the month long doe season.

    How can we now be crying about all the declines and blame it on habitat two years later?
    Where's the science? Ask your Bio friends whats up.

    I know all to well about the study that is going on and I have looked at the outcome that some states are seeing as a result.
    Nothing new here.

    As far as me being my worst enemy, there are many frustrated hunter asking the same questions.
    Best thread on sharing cougar videos ever.


    I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright


    "Statistics are like women; mirrors of purest virtue and truth, or like whores to use as one pleases". ~Theodor Billroth

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,842

    Re: Cougars On Cam

    Great videos Ourea. I can count the months I've had cameras out. Including cams of agriculture plots that local elk feed in and and mineral licks I've placed. I've have thousands of clips of deer, elk,and small game and the only predators I have ever captured was a pair of wolves and the odd hunter. Im beginning to think i have better chance of getting pics of bigfoot then a cougar, let alone 5 cougars. Amazing catch you have here. Love those big cats. Thanks for sharing
    Last edited by Ron.C; 12-21-2018 at 11:29 AM.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,097

    Re: Cougars On Cam

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Great videos Ourea. I can count the months I've had cameras out. Including cams of agriculture plots that local elk feed in and and mineral licks I've placed. I've have thousands of clips of deer, elk,and small game and the only predators I have ever captured was a pair of wolves and the odd hunter. Im beginning to think i have better chance of getting pics of bigfoot then a cougar, let alone 5 cougars. Amazing catch you have here. Love those big cats. Thanks for sharing
    cougar are easy to get trail cam pics. Easier then deer. They have a “beat” and religiously follow it. Take note of rd crossing, investigate the track from the crossing. Often the cat will step in its old tracks. Set on the track.
    If you are between a day bed and it’s kill you should get a pic.
    if you find a kill, and they are not so tough to find if you walk tracks. Especially if you have some braided sign. Set on kill.
    As well you usually won’t spook a cat off it’s kill just cause you walked through it. I did have a Tom move his deer once after I found it however.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”CS Lewis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •