Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Cougars On Cam

Re: Cougars On Cam

You could set on a scratch as well..if there is active scratching. And scratch lines are generational.
    You might get a long wait, but if you pay attention to scratches it is predictable. Like one ridge line here. Tom will be scratching when he moves in. Late October early November. For the last 25 years some cat has scratched there.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Nice to see this thread back on track (pun intended)

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    cougar are easy to get trail cam pics. Easier then deer. They have a “beat” and religiously follow it. Take note of rd crossing, investigate the track from the crossing. Often the cat will step in its old tracks. Set on the track.
    If you are between a day bed and it’s kill you should get a pic.
    if you find a kill, and they are not so tough to find if you walk tracks. Especially if you have some braided sign. Set on kill.
    As well you usually won’t spook a cat off it’s kill just cause you walked through it. I did have a Tom move his deer once after I found it however.
    thanks for the tips. I am always targeting deer or elk so my cams are set up for them. I would have expected to get a pic of a cat by accident. But it clearly shows to me that the cats aren't hunting the feeding areas or licks that I'm targeting that draw high numbers of deer/elk.

I have seen cats a few times up a local hiking trail. Very little hunting if any at all up there but lots of mtn bikers and hikers. I think I'll throw a couple cameras up there.

Bownut. Please stop highjacking this thread with your personal agenda on bait. Thank you
    Last edited by Gateholio; 12-21-2018 at 02:39 PM.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    You could set on a scratch as well..if there is active scratching. And scratch lines are generational.
    You might get a long wait, but if you pay attention to scratches it is predictable. Like one ridge line here. Tom will be scratching when he moves in. Late October early November. For the last 25 years some cat has scratched there.
    Great point.
    They will also use the same creek crossings time and time again. (Bridge, log, boulders)

There is a guy in the states that has some real good pics and videos off his trail cameras, he primarily trys for
    cats i think but gets lots of bears wolves etc at the same sites he puts some thing on a stick and they all are
    ether licking or sniffing it, ungulates as well pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    There is a guy in the states that has some real good pics and videos off his trail cameras, he primarily trys for
    cats i think but gets lots of bears wolves etc at the same sites he puts some thing on a stick and they all are
    ether licking or sniffing it, ungulates as well pretty cool.
    Is there a link?

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Is there a link?
    I will try to find were the last ones were.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Is there a link?
    Ive been looking for the last ones were not that long ago either on a trapping or bow site
    some of them were with a reconyx camera which had incredible clear video but when
    researched were to much for me because of what goes on out there like you mentioned
    at the end of your deer thread.

BC Outdoors Volume 72 Number 5 Sept Issue
    2017 Hunting Forecast Pg. 25
    Okanagan Ungulates
    Elk are doing well in R8
    Mule deer are doing really well in this region and hunter harvest continues to climb.
    Recent wildfires on low elevation winter ranges will have a positive impact on deer habitat and hunting may even get better.
    White tails are also doing well and spring surveys found their numbers to be stable even with the month long doe season.

Don't BELIEVE everything you Read because a LOT of it's NOT TRUE !
    RJ