Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best region for colour phased bears

Re: Best region for colour phased bears

I did a shift on Thurlow Island 12 or so years ago. All the bears I saw (6 or were some form colour phase. First time i'd ever seen a non-black black bear. Only other place is west of Quesnel.

There is a place near Williams lake..40 % of the bears are colored phase..red, blond, brown...non black.
    Colored bears USUALLY top out at 5 1/2 feet.. but much larger colored bears are out there.
    We usually considered 6 foot black bears as trophy., adult mature animals.
    Cheers
    Steven

If hunters would hunt big bears regardless of color and let the smaller bears walk those 5.5 (trophies) would become real trophy bears
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Great responses guys. Lots of places to think about. Thanks for sharing the info. Feel free to post pictures of the different colours. I hunt mostly 7-13 and 7-12 and it seems some do see those coloured bears in these areas.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Bear_Man View Post
    Great responses guys. Lots of places to think about. Thanks for sharing the info. Feel free to post pictures of the different colours. I hunt mostly 7-13 and 7-12 and it seems some do see those coloured bears in these areas.
    What I have found is it’s sections of the MUs that hold colour more so not the whole MU

And by far the most common colour I see is cinnamon with chocolate be next followed be red then blonde. I rarely see coloured bears that hit the much past 18 inch and most colour phase I see are 5 foot or less. I have been involved with some nice coloured bears going down but they seem to hide when I am the shooter lol. If I take my wife out that is when I see a nice colour phase they like her more

Odds are by the MUs you hunt your not too far away from where I will be hunting. Do to fires I have to wait and see how it impacted some of my spots this spring. Feel free to bug me in the spring for info on what I am seeing

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    If hunters would hunt big bears regardless of color and let the smaller bears walk those 5.5 (trophies) would become real trophy bears
    I have gotten a bit more selective on bears in the spring, but usually hold out till my last couple days, taking a calf/fawn killer smaller than was looking for, to ensure pepperonies/smokies supply for summer and fall! moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

and a lot more calves/fawns would die. we have plenty of bears, and big bears i have no problem with guys killing 5 ft bears.
    I'm sure the wolves are not in the area to howl Kumbaya at the moon and eat granola. "Ourea"

Even though I hold out for nicer bears that is my choice and have no issues with someone shooting a smaller bear for meat. Now if I take a guy hunting and I have to load a dog bear in my truck he is going to be teased in good fun lol

Personally I find there is more big bears then people realize but people don’t want to invest the effort or just can’t hold out long enough to see a big bear. I have taken guys bear hunting after they pass on 10-20 bears their eyes start playing tricks and the next bears look way bigger to them lol

In the end there is no lack of bears and someone just wants meat have at it. Personally I am not noticing a lack of big old bears so I don’t think there is an age class issue

well if anyone is going for colour only in areas with some big blackies, take me along, i`ll take a big black over colour at least once, i struck out this year so freezers empty..lol, the count down to spring is on!! hahaha

i`m in region 1 on the island and hunt 1-6 - 1-12 and saw a few small ones this year, nothing big during season, day before, different story , ahwell, learned more, onto next year!

last year i took a smaller bear last day of spring, he was a touch over 5ft, was a good eater but i'm out now dangit

The best place for color phased Bears is Van Isle..
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..