Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grouse Hunting Results on Sept 10th

Grouse Hunting Results on Sept 10th

Went up the Coquihalla near the toll booth. Hunted for 8 hours in the heat. NOTHING! I saw one doe. Ran into two other guys hunting and they said the same thing. Nothing!!

I have to say I am getting a bit frustrated...My claim to fame is 1 grouse over close to 30 hunting trips now. Albeit I am new to this and yes I started with a bow (stupid) and yes when we started we were yacking and talking and shooting more than hunting but I have since changed all that and still nothing....

I am not sure what else to do (other than sell my hunting gear!!)

GRRRRR!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grouse Hunting Results on Sept 10th

Hey o2fish2day..Don't give up so easily yet still a good month to come.
    30-06 all the way

MY dad went up for the opener on monday ill let you now how it goes when he gets back.Went last year for the opener grouse every were try boston bar to lilloet areas lots of grouse up there.

Glad you posted, I was going to head in that direction with my daughter, think now I'll cut across to Tulameen area.

I just bought my daughter her 1st .22, so would be great if she could have a few chances to get her hooked.

Either
    A. You're the most unlucky person alive.
    B. You're somehow going to places where there are no grouse, of which I know none in BC.
    C. You're doing something horribly wrong.

Just had two grouse walk by my cabin while I read this thread!

Every time ive been out this yr,have been seeing lots of chickens.should be a good yr for them.
    Midnight toker

DOnt worry man be happy sounds like you might trying to hard. The bush can sense your frustration. Take a break hit it again when the weather changes. Keep Stirrin up your routine (place, time, style ie truck, still, stand hunt) until you start seeing game and sign.

Maybe change your socks once in awhile too

So you're not shooting any or not seeing anything? Are you using a shotgun or still using the bow for ditch chickens?

Some tips, they are called "ditch chickens" because they are most likely seen during the morning when its warming up or during the mid to late afternoons in the middle or on the side of the road. They love to hide and feed on small green leafy tree strubs that grow in at the side of the roads, Alders and Cottonwoods I believe.

During the day they like the shade which make them harder to see but if you find a road that has some canopy over top you should run into a few. Look up into the trees during the midday they tend to roost around the roads.

For the most part ditch chickens dont' spook very easily, walk up slowly towards the bird to close the distance until it just starts to move, this will make for a better shot. If they do spook you could almost guarantee that they will be out on the road again later. Give the area about half an hour for things to settle and try the road again. It's not uncommon to shoot several birds on the same road in the evening.

Good luck to you and hope you have better success.

if your not seeing too many grouse find a different area i find that if i'm seeing grouse i also find deer .
    holy underwear