Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carnivore grinder

Carnivore grinder

Going to buy a grinder can’t decide if I should get 1 hp or 1-3/4hp , I know bigger is usually better but is the bigger one worth the extra cake?
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Carnivore grinder

Worry more about what the internal gears are made of, plastic, or metal. Most grinders will grind faster than you can keep up with solo anyways.

Hmm..I have the larger Cabelas grinder before they changed the name to Carnivore...go big. 1 3/4 hp
    Get PAIRED blades with plates and always keep them paired..they wear..mate together..
    Freeze blades plates auger for few hours prior to grinding cold meat..
    The gears are metal, the unit is best out there IMO..been 8 years or so perfect use.
    Will devour any amount of meat as fast as you can throw it down the considerable sized chute.
    Big enough that it doesnt work..=creating heat = starts the proteins binding...bad...
    Great choice.
    Srupp

A friend of mine purchased the 1HP unit a year ago, and he's used it for his home cooking (he makes large batches of ground meat), and this fall he helped me grind about 60lbs of venison.

We barely got the thing warmed up before the 60lbs was ground... took maybe 15 minutes from start to finish. It's a great grinder!

If you're doing a lot of meat by yourself, you won't keep up with the grinder; 2 of us loading the meat tray barely kept up with it - it's very fast.

I can't speak for whether the gears are steel or not, but the other parts looked very sturdy.

NH3

What ever you decide on, get the foot peddle, it's the cats ass for grinding.

We have the 1 hp and we can't keep up with it, don't see the need for more HP.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I have the 1hp carnivore. It’s all the grinder that 99% of home meat cutters will ever need. Put 5 deer through mine this year after helping a friend out with cutting and wrapping his deer. It grinds pretty well as fast as it can be fed. The extra cost and weight of the next model up is unnecessary.

Thank you for the input fellas it’s much appreciated .
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

the 1 hp is great. as others have said.... it will grind faster than you can stuff it. one thing I found annoying is they supply you with a coarse and fine plate, but the most common one, medium, is an extra purchase for $22. also, the stuffing star is cheapo.... it's another $22 for the good one.
    overall I recommend. it is a heavy beast, boarder line industrial.

wasn't aware you can get foot pedal. I don't personally see the need.

go buy it. they do occasionally come on sale.

1hp is plenty for most....key is to cube meat first so the long fibers in the meat dont get wrapped up on the end of the auger.

Bigger is better but I bought the PRINCESS AUTO Kitchener 2/3 hp on sale for $129 and ground up a batch of bear meat for sausage ,worked fine for my purposes. I trimmed out the sinews and silver skin and cubed it.Ran some dry bread through it during the process to clear any fat .Most grinders work better with meat with some frost in it,but the bear meat was just cold
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 12-13-2018 at 06:38 AM.