Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly in moose information wanted..

Re: Fly in moose information wanted..

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    After driving to the Yukon border only to find multiple moose camps, multiple jet boats on the river I have basically given up on looking for a place to hunt ‘any bull’ .Not interested in trophy animals,just a good safe hunt with my boys someplace where we can enjoy the wilderness,see some game and take a 3 or 4 year old meat bull.I’m considering a fly in,but have no idea where to start,who to book for a flight,or even where to go .Any information is greatly appreciated
    LEH not good enough for you ?
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Hmmm and there lies the rub ALL AIR COMPANIES have great credibility issues with how many other camps they have flown in or will fly in while your there..hear it every year for 10 years..experienced it too many times..
    I know LOTS of great lakes up there to fly in to..for moose..but cant guarantee what these pilots will do..
    Some lakes are pretty well known others are hardly known. .lots of lakes..still PLENTY of moose..no need to pile up on lakes..
    Pm with ph number if I can assist.
    Cheers
    Srupp
    Potentially a new option for this coming year....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I’ve considered an outfitter but there’s 4 of us and that gets pricey.We have the kit,it’s just transportation we need. problem is with LEH I only get a draw about every 5 years and at 72 next season,I don’t have a lot of time between successful draws left.As I said,, not into trophy hunting,just a good safe hunt...if I had my druthers,I’d love to find a cabin on a lake to fly in to...getting a bit spoiled I guess..
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 12-12-2018 at 08:38 PM.

Just go for it. Take Stevens offer up on a phone call and go. Even if there is a camp or two on the same lake it will still be an epic trip

BC Yukon won't stack camps. But the better lakes book up quickly because of that. Get your deposit in, they can recommend lakes. They want your money, they just don't want you shooting their sheep lol. Meat hunts for moose and caribou I feel you can be reasonably confident they won't lead you astray.

There was a guy I seen at the tradex outdoor show that had cabins on multiple lakes and flew in from some place by Nimpo lake or something like that, I’ll see if I can find his card, a German or Dutch guy.
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    There was a guy I seen at the tradex outdoor show that had cabins on multiple lakes and flew in from some place by Nimpo lake or something like that, I’ll see if I can find his card, a German or Dutch guy.
    Hmmm that area is LEH...need to draw a very limited tag out West..getting really scarce..
    Srupp

I just hate the idea of antler restrictions,it’s too easy to mistake an immature.Scared me when I saw what I THOUGHT was an immature,( the rack was on the ground,harvested by another hunter)but when I walked up on it,there was a small ‘nub’ that could have disqualified it.I just hate that..No way that could have been seen on alive animal,even 50 yards away,and please don’t tell me many an animal was left in the bush after the hunter walked up on it only to discover it wasn’t legal)

one concern I have with an early hunt ,especially when a fly in,is warm weather...what do you do if you are booked in for 10 days and you take an animal early on and the weather turns warm? We generally hang meat with a smoky fire to seal it up good,and frost at night seems to be ok,but we can always leave early if need be
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 12-13-2018 at 06:57 AM.

Hang under low pitch tarp, for wind to get at meat, sun not..near creek or lake..max wind . wipe meat down with 70 % vinigar 30 % clean water..not lake unless filtered., citric acid works great too mixed with water..both methods lower PH level giving you a couple extra days . however at a certain time you must leave to prevent meat from going bad..regardless of how many more you need for the group.
    Cheers
    Srupp

Sat phone or Inreach so you can call for a meat flight. quarters last a surprisingly lone time, even in late August up there the water bucket freezes up there at night, if the meat isn't bloodshot and carefully cleaned, we have had quarters hanging for 5-6 days and no issues.