Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for grouse!

Re: Looking for grouse!

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert Retired View Post
    My .17 HMR can put 5 shots in the size of a dime.
    Pffft - Big deal - any hunting rifle can do that to a certain distance. At grouse hunting range, inside 25 yards - this would be
    typical for a .22LR. Surely you must be talking about some significant distance. If you're talking 100yards well then that is impressive but that's far from a typical distance for a grouse shot. Heck, I don't think I can even see grouse at 100yards.

I also only head shoot grouse. Cheap and easy with a nicely scoped .22. I'll be that .17 is a lot of fun with that extra range and velocity.

Rieber - Yes I agree with your comments on .22 scoped. I used to shoot a .22 iron sights with .22 shorts and was deadly. I used to carry a pocket full of shorts, longs, and long rifles, and used them as the situation dictated! Alas, the key word is "used to". Now I am old, and using a scoped .17 has been a pleasure, for sure. I am not saying the .22 is not just as capable at grouse ranges (usually 20 - 30 meters), I am only saying that I have found the .17 HMR and am enamored of it!

Meh mow them down with a 12ga way better for head shots

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert Retired View Post
    Rieber - Yes I agree with your comments on .22 scoped. I used to shoot a .22 iron sights with .22 shorts and was deadly. I used to carry a pocket full of shorts, longs, and long rifles, and used them as the situation dictated! Alas, the key word is "used to". Now I am old, and using a scoped .17 has been a pleasure, for sure. I am not saying the .22 is not just as capable at grouse ranges (usually 20 - 30 meters), I am only saying that I have found the .17 HMR and am enamored of it!
    I suspect I'll pick one up one day when they're on sale. Little sniper rifles.