Thread: Advice on bow sights needed please

Advice on bow sights needed please

My son is a beginner bow hunter and has asked for a sight for Xmas. He has an older compound bow and has specifically asked for a Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL. I looked them up and looks like a high end bow site $$$. Are there any more affordable sights that are similar?? Also I’m not sure on number of pins or pin diameters. I know nothing about bows and I’m assuming he has asked for a high end piece of gear when maybe it’s not necessarily needed. Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Advice on bow sights needed please

I love spot Hogg sights they're bulletproof I run the Hunter 5 and I'm very happy with it

How many pins and what diameter would you recommend?

You got pm mail.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Spott Hogg are bullet proof but the way your describing the bow it sounds like over kill. Logic would say a cheap sight would be fine. 3 pins is all that would be required, that will let him shoot at a few ranges without cluttering it all up. The other reason not to break ththe bank is your son probably hasn't done enough shooting to know what he likes. If you wanted to spend a bit extra being christmas and all is a three pin fixed sight with a 4th variable, I picked one up before i knew if I'd like a single variable site or the standard fixed pin.

Another sight to consider would be an entry level HHA Slider sight. They are a single pin sight ,easy to use and reasonably priced. They are also very well made and solid. An 019 pin would be a good pin size
    Last edited by Hunter gatherer; 12-11-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mod7rem View Post
    My son is a beginner bow hunter and has asked for a sight for Xmas. He has an older compound bow and has specifically asked for a Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL. I looked them up and looks like a high end bow site $$$. Are there any more affordable sights that are similar?? Also I’m not sure on number of pins or pin diameters. I know nothing about bows and I’m assuming he has asked for a high end piece of gear when maybe it’s not necessarily needed. Thanks.
    Some questions, How old is your Boy? What bow does he shoot,mod age? Is he hunting with the bow, does he shoot 3D..

The Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL is an adjustable single pin sight, and is definitely a higher end sight, and great for serious target shooters. I use my set up for 3D and hunting, and I wouldn't pick that sight. If he insists on a single pin, look at HHA Optimizer at Cabelas for $169.99. HHA are one of the more popular adjustable single pin sights. I've been shooting Montana Black Gold sights on my past 2 bows. Both 5 pin. If I was to purchase a Spot Hogg sight, it would be The Hunter, or the Grinder, in 5 pin. .019
    Last edited by Riverbc; 12-21-2018 at 06:18 PM.
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.