Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Compound?

Re: Best Compound?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty
    I want a bow that is fast and quiet, mostly used for hunting but i like to shoot targets as well. I have no preference as to whether it is dual or single cam. Cost isn't really an issue
    My the highest priority is on forgivness because when hunting one is not always in the perfect position to shoot a bow. When it comes to being out of position and form is a little sideways on a shot I will take less speed and more forgiveness. One does not have to be on the bleeding edge of technology to put venison on the table.

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the response about the broadheads. Will keep my eyes open for them.
    Now about your comment about the AR's. 30 yards bow?? Not fast enough??? The AR will produce speeds in the 300's just like the others. I would have no problem shooting at 40 to 50 yard shots with my AR34. Quiet yes, very quiet!! And besides, fast speeds or over rated. It takes a well placed shot to kill anything, not speed.
    What do you shoot?? Would like to hear more on your thoughts. Sounds like you know your stuff.

3d bowman

I'll thrown down a recomendation for Alpine, I love mine, fast, smooth, and fairly forgiving. One thing to keep in mind, if you plan on going P&Y, need to watch the let off %.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

3dbowman, I also would not hesittae to go 40 or 50 yards with an AR34, my point was that it would be my choice for a bow where shots were most likely going to be very close, due to the fact that it is such a quiet bow! I do not believe that 300 fp/sec is a reasonable expectation for a hunting set up in these bows though, maybe if you have an exceptionally long draw length. And if you do what is neccesary to take these bows up into that speed range you will lose a lot of the quietness which is one of their best features. Swamper on here owns an AR 34 and i believe that he is getting around 285 @ 30" draw. would get a tad more if he went right down to 5GPP but again it would not be nearly as quiet as it is with his hunting set-up.
    All of this is of course just my own opinions.

As far as what I shoot here's the list

hunting bow - bowtech extreme VFT @73 #'s
    3d bow - same as above but in target black
    indoor bow - hoyt sapphire that I customized and upgraded to the cam 1/2
    system
    i also have a PSE takedown recurve and a Kazama one peice recurve.
    I have recently owned a hoyt superstar, a css challenger, and a bowtech pro40. between me, the wife and the kids we have 12 bows on the rack, 7 compound and 5 trad! keeps me busy with the bow press and arrow fletcher for sure!!

Once again, welcome to the site and i look forward to your contributions!!

PS - Kirby, Pope and Young has changed the criteria and any let-off is now allowed. The only difference is that anything more than 65% will go into the book with an asterisk beside it to show it was taken with higher let-off.

Chris
    Last edited by willyqbc; 03-07-2005 at 08:45 AM.
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Chris, thanks for the heads up, when did that happen? I have been out of the loops too long!

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

started last year i believe Kirby, you can even enter older racks which were taken with higher let-off so if you shot a monster 5 years ago with 80% let-off and always wanted it entered, now you can!

Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson