Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring bear 2019

Re: Spring bear 2019

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I was just being funny (standards of funny might vary) I agree with you for the most part. Conditions are ahead of last year in Region 2, and from the sounds of it 3 as well, but it's still early. Some bears could drop soon, but personally I have no expectations (for us) for a couple more weeks. My brain is even fighting with itself telling me to stay home and hibernate a little... though if I can just make the drive out there I can lay around and catch a lot of zzzz's in the great outdoors. 3 hours hunting, 33 hours snoozing kind of deal.
    I know you were being a smart@ss all good

I also know it’s possible to get one early. I have seen a black bear in February walking around in 3 feet of snow in northern BC in the past. When I lived in region 2 I knew of bears that did not sleep. I used to see one bear out duck hunting and cutthroat fishing often

Not impossible to get an early bear but I have fun bugging people who go out early because I remember all the time and $ I spent doing it so I know the odds

I like to give people a hard time it’s just in my nature so don’t take me too seriously

Now leave the little bears alone and find a big one lol

Quote Originally Posted by drift6969 View Post
    You guys aren't messing around lol

Completely the opposite here I am always messing around makes life more enjoyable lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I know you were being a smart@ss all good

I also know it’s possible to get one early. I have seen a black bear in February walking around in 3 feet of snow in northern BC in the past. When I lived in region 2 I knew of bears that did not sleep. I used to see one bear out duck hunting and cutthroat fishing often

Not impossible to get an early bear but I have fun bugging people who go out early because I remember all the time and $ I spent doing it so I know the odds

I like to give people a hard time it’s just in my nature so don’t take me too seriously

Now leave the little bears alone and find a big one lol
    Hoping to run into the bear that charged me in 2017. He is an early riser. I have run into him second week of April 2 years ago and 3rd week of April last year. Unfortunately I stalked him a ways then took a crack at him (after he busted me and was already making an exit) so he might be a little more educated now. The days of him walking through my camp in the daylight are probably over, but I still hate that bear with a passion.

But hold out for a big bear? You must be mistaking me for someone with discipline and patience Between my wife, brother and myself we'd still have 5 more tags if we decide to get fancy. LOL just thought of filling 6 tags total... man the ungulates would be happy.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 04-05-2019 at 01:21 PM.

The history you have with the A hole bear it would mean more to take him over a big boar if I was in your boots.

Either way as as long as you enjoy your season is the main thing

$1.62 a litre for gas? I won't be going this month, that's for sure.

I don't even feel like driving to the range to double check my rifle's shooting, but I think they might get a little excited if I take it on the bus. Besides, there's no bus up to the Poco range.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    $1.62 a litre for gas?

I don;t even feel like driving to the range to double check my rifle's shooting, but I think they might get a little excited if I take it on the bus. Besides, there's no bus to the Poco range.
    Cheaper fuel, lower housing costs, higher wages, less traffic, less crime, less people and better hunting/fishing yup I would say moving out of the lower mainland is worth it lol

and my cost of living will go down even more once I move to Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Hoping to run into the bear that charged me last year. He is an early riser. I have run into him second week of April 2 years ago and 3rd week of April last year. Unfortunately I stalked him a ways then took a crack at him (after he busted me and was already making an exit) so he might be a little more educated now. The days of him walking through my camp in the daylight are probably over, but I still hate that bear with a passion.
    I think you've got your answer right there. I will take tremendous satisfaction when you whack that bugger.

Reminds me of my cousin a couple years back during our moose LEH in his backyard. My hunting buddy asked him why he didn't carry a gun or bear spray when scouting. He answered that he knew most of the bears in the area and they know if they charge him he will take a full day off work just to come back with a gun and terminate the inappropriate behaviour.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Well that didn't really go as planned, but I am back a day early with the report.

Checked out our regular "go to" bear spot. Still some patches of snow, a few small patches of grass. I found two little patches that looked like they were mowed by a bear. No poops, one tick.

Decided to head out to a new spot we found last year. It's greening up a lot better, grass getting hit, some scat, etc. I mainly went in to check on a camera that filled up a 16GB card with false positives over a couple days in the winter. It's doing the same thing. Now I have many more hours of video to go through to check for critters that might or might not be. Not sure if it is the tree that it is on moving in the wind (which it does) or if the sensor is just malfunctioning. I moved it to a more stable place, so we'll see what happens.

Anyway, on the way into that camera through all the thick stuff, there was a bit of chaos. I jumped "something" about 10 yards away. Bunch of commotion. Adrenaline through the roof LOL. Anyway, a second later I see two of the elusive Region 2 whitetail deer running off, tails straight up in the air flagging. That was my first in-person encounter with Region 2 whitetails, but I have got them on cam a number of times.

So here's the bad news and why we are home early. caddisgirl suffered what appears to be a pretty severe foot injury. Might be some breakage. Bad area too... just before the big toe. It's all black and blue, even down on the bottom. Off to the doctor tomorrow AM to get it checked out and then probably xrays on Monday. Hoping it's not too bad, but it's possible she's done for several weeks. Totally sucks... that's like a hockey player getting injured in practice before a pre-season expedition game.

I can’t say I have seen WT in region 2. With the way animals move and from finding animals where the are not supposed to be I would not be surprised.

I still have to ask though did you get a really good look at them or just going by the flagging? I have seen blacktail flag before is why I ask

Next time when a deer startles you in the bush don’t freak out and push caddisgirl down well you make a run for it that’s not very gentleman like

Hope she heals fast

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I can’t say I have seen WT in region 2. With the way animals move and from finding animals where the are not supposed to be I would not be surprised.

I still have to ask though did you get a really good look at them or just going by the flagging? I have seen blacktail flag before is why I ask

Next time when a deer startles you in the bush don’t freak out and push caddisgirl down well you make a run for it that’s not very gentleman like

Hope she heals fast
    I had a pretty good look, but I only ID'd them by their tails. 100% confident though being 10 yards away. Huge bushy triangular shape tails, straight up to the sky, distinct triangular shape and white trim when down. I filmed a bit with the handheld cam and zoomed at 50 yards so I might have some footage. I'll check later tonight or tomorrow. In the mean time, here's a trailcam vid of WT's about 3km away from where I saw them today. I think I had this doe show up about 3 years in a row and pumped out twins each time. Bunch of others up on my youtube:

For further validation, here's a blacktail on the same camera as the whitetail in the previous video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjik1HT67A0

LOL caddisgirl always bites the dust when SHTF. A couple years back I sent her chasing after a bear through the thick stuff. She ended up with a broken nose and double black eye after falling through some deadfall. Was funny a few days later I asked her to pick me up a 24 of caribou at the beer store on her way to meet me... at the bus stop.... at surrey central. Imagine that... some guy with his girl carrying a 24 pack with a broken nose and two huge shiners. Classy! Scariest one was probably when she went tumbling down a knob. One bench down to the next, pretty much head over heals. I remember shouting "dont worry you're ok" while she was tumbling down and she shouts back "no I'm not" (sound fading further away each tumble). I didn't mean it wasn't going to hurt... but I knew she'd land on a flat surface before going off the cliff. Nothing a few months of physio wont fix. Maybe this is why it's hard to find people who want to hunt with me. Trick is to marry them so they feel obligated. One tough lady tho. Sucks when it's a foot though and affects mobility. Glad it didn't happen too far off and somewhere steep. Would have been a predicament. Anyway, any animal within 2km learned a whole lot of french cuss words. Funny enough I did hear a bunch of deer scrambling when she was cussing.

Anyway back to bears. There's a few out and mildly active. Should be great in a couple weeks, crutches or no crutches. Anyone ever shoot off a crutch?
    Last edited by caddisguy; 04-06-2019 at 07:49 PM.