Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring bear 2019

Re: Spring bear 2019

Most of BC is a 2 bear limit and depending on the size of bears you shoot it can be a lot of meat.

You can find black bear all over BC and you are going to get lots of recommendations. There are many locations that tagging out on a one week hunt is easy and a good possibility of tagging a big bear as well. There is also many parts of B.C. that are OK bear hunting that are still worth hunting to many. Some places bears move all day others movement is really only part of the day. Do to pressure some places bears are skiddish and most run other places a large portion stick around having little fear

Here is the other issue is everyone has different standards on what is good bear hunting and what a good bear is. To some a good day bear hunting is seeing 5 bears to others that’s a slow day. Size wise to some a bear that makes BC book(19 inch skull) is a bear of a lifetime to others it’s just a nice bear

In my opinion if you are going to plan a trip pick an area that you want to scout for other species or you can do a good fishing/bear hunt combo

What is your goal big bear, colour, meat, or just to get out?

Anywhere north of Prince George to Mackenzie, faaaackin bears everywhere.
    I support PETA!
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm Region 5 sucked for black bears out east last year..hmmm so did flyfishing..
    Best time is may east of the pond first week of june out west..
    Hmm with Tim in Duncan now maybe vancouver island. ..
    Srupp
    If you come to the island you better send me a message. I've got a beer or two to buy you.

PG /MacKenzie is expensive Bear. Better to get them closer to home.

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    PG /MacKenzie is expensive Bear. Better to get them closer to home.
    Making a longer trip can be well worth it.That really depends on what you are looking for in a bear hunt/experience

A week bear hunting seeing 5-30 bears a day where tagging out is basically your choice. Taking at least one bear with a 19+inch skull is highly likely and 18 inch is a cake walk. Then combined good fishing for big lakers and rainbows. Enjoying peace and quiet with almost no one around.

This is just one opinion

This sound like a good trip? Lol

Or is hanging out in Harrison with all the drunk off road guys and trash with a good day being 1-5 bears that often make a run for it more your style? Lol

Lots of options out there for bear hunting and yes one can stay close to home but it all depends on the experience and goals your looking to meet

Quote Originally Posted by Good2bCanadian View Post
    We hit up region 7 last year and made it a trout fishing/bear hunting week trip.
    Was one of my favorite trips.
    Sleep in. Go fish a few hours. Have a trout shore lunch. Go hunt bears mid day to evening. Repeat.
    This sounds f'in awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Making a longer trip can be well worth it.That really depends on what you are looking for in a bear hunt/experience

A week bear hunting seeing 5-30 bears a day where tagging out is basically your choice. Taking at least one bear with a 19+inch skull is highly likely and 18 inch is a cake walk. Then combined good fishing for big lakers and rainbows. Enjoying peace and quiet with almost no one around.

This is just one opinion

This sound like a good trip? Lol

Or is hanging out in Harrison with all the drunk off road guys and trash with a good day being 1-5 bears that often make a run for it more your style? Lol

Lots of options out there for bear hunting and yes one can stay close to home but it all depends on the experience and goals your looking to meet
    You are 100% correct. I actually tried going up Harrison this season and what a miserable gong show for sure. I turned around after 7km and left out of there - it was like a scene from Mad Max and peppered my truck with stones flying from the ATVs and jacked up jeeps. Never again. I found a few nice spots well away from salmon streams and garbage this year that showed bears and easy enough to get them to the truck without destroying myself on cut blocks. I'm not a trophy hunter, I'm in it to fill the freezer but don't get me wrong - if I have the option to choose between two animals, it's likely the bigger one that's going to receive my attention.

Kamloops Area - Over the last 4 years I have shot more wolves than bears seen. And I really wanted a bear, did not really want to see the wolves in my deer hunting areas. I must have a bear/wolf jinx. I did take a bear this fall up Shuswap way (first in 5 years), but man was I getting frustrated buying that bear tag year after year.

Talked to a CO two summers ago, said the bears had a rough winter in the area - as it was longer than they were used to and it hit them hard.

100% wild one.

7a is a great place to spend a few days, lots of bears, lots of amazing lakes, makes for a GREAT experience and a good hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    You are 100% correct. I actually tried going up Harrison this season and what a miserable gong show for sure. I turned around after 7km and left out of there - it was like a scene from Mad Max and peppered my truck with stones flying from the ATVs and jacked up jeeps. Never again. I found a few nice spots well away from salmon streams and garbage this year that showed bears and easy enough to get them to the truck without destroying myself on cut blocks. I'm not a trophy hunter, I'm in it to fill the freezer but don't get me wrong - if I have the option to choose between two animals, it's likely the bigger one that's going to receive my attention.
    I actually started traveling to increase my success rate and got picky with bears do to the lbs of meat on them not trophies. It was realizing passing on a few to get one with twice the lbs of meat was less work then shooting 2 bears is what did it. At first I did not realize I was shooting above average to big bears till others brought it to my attention lol. Now I just measure my skulls for the hell of it but rarely keep anything but meat

Really my meat bear standards are just really high and when I have enough bear meat in the freezer I hunt with stupid high standards so I can keep bear hunting because I enjoy it. Some say i trophy hunt but it’s not why I am picky

Then I found I just enjoyed my time hunting these locations and the ability to add fishing/scouting as well. Combination of higher bear numbers and adding other activities makes for more memorable trips

Start combining harvest goals with going out and enjoying the whole trip to the fullest it’s hard to beat.