Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring bear 2019

Re: Spring bear 2019

Wild one

what area of 6 would you recommend? Smithers ?

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    Wild one

what area of 6 would you recommend? Smithers ?
    Some of my spots I have to wait and see what impact the fires have had come spring. Some pockets are not looking good

North of Smithers I do have some pockets I really like

Just think of it this way you know what it’s like near pg well the habitat/feed gets better to the west and there is less people

anything else is PM only

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    Anyone make bacon out of bear belly? Is it the same as doing it from pork?
    Asked my butcher about that this year, he basically said yes and it's absolutely delicious but it has to be the right bear, spring bears are generally leaner than fall bears and if there's not enough fat it's not worth it according to him...definitely on my "to try" list though when I do put the right one on the ground!
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by 45freezer View Post
    Asked my butcher about that this year, he basically said yes and it's absolutely delicious but it has to be the right bear, spring bears are generally leaner than fall bears and if there's not enough fat it's not worth it according to him...definitely on my "to try" list though when I do put the right one on the ground!
    Awesome....I’ll try it this spring!

I would think a little less fat on a bear might be better? Game fat doesn’t usually taste quite the same and I find less is better (for the most part).
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm yes you do have a great bear..no doubt about that..but seen 2 harvested last year from HBC members that were seriously big..bodies..and skulls..
    Great bears all around..been a couple years since I put a big one down..much prefer colored phased bb..over 7 feet..
    Good luck to all..
    Cheers

Steven
    Steven, I passed on a few bears last spring, looking for the pumpkin head color phase. I would shoot a huge black colored bear though, if presented with a 7'er! Can't wait for spring2019, wolves and Yotes will have to fill the void till then! That last huge color phase you shot sure was a beauty! Thats my measuring stick! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Quote Originally Posted by gcreek View Post
    Wonder how many the healthy population of grizzly have thinned out.

Can a grizzly eat enough black bears to therefore be called a black bear?
    You are what you eat right?

Quote Originally Posted by RugDoctor View Post
    Awesome....I’ll try it this spring!

I would think a little less fat on a bear might be better? Game fat doesn’t usually taste quite the same and I find less is better (for the most part).
    Highly dependent on diet from what I understand, I'm certainly no expert though. Shot a bear in May that had been eating skunk cabbage, didn't trim any fat off any of the steaks and although some bits were tougher to chew down than others there was no problem at all with the flavor...a bear shot on a river in early November would most likely be a different story. Legend has it that fall bears that have primarily been eating berries can develop a sweet taste to their fat, have a spot in mind to test this theory out myself next September, maybe someone else can weigh in on how consistent that is though.
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

You are what you eat, a buddy of mine shot a fall bear around Fort ST. James that had been feeding heavily on wild rose hips. You couldn't eat it. Yet we've had fall bears that were feeding on blue berries ( blue huckleberries) and were very good. If you don't want to take the chance, a early spring bear is your best bet.

I actually liked the bears I have shot that have been eating rose hips

I like them lean so spring bear is what I proffer vs greasy fall bears

Anyone getting excited?

Quote Originally Posted by bigredchev View Post
    im planning on region 5.

went out for the last week of may this year and it was just too early. we only saw 1 beer, but once the rest of the group saw a few.

planned for the first week of june, same area. its all weather dependant at that window.

big breakfast, fish and hunt from lunch on. its a great way to spend time
    only saw one beer in a week!!!! Now that’s tragic