Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring bear 2019

Re: Spring bear 2019

Sure its easy to go blast a B Bear in my back yard, but I like the adventure. I would like to maybe go explore towards Bella Coola, looking for a big black bear...any tips or suggestions? Usually I go to Van Isle, but maybe thinking about not having to hit a ferry...
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    There’s even a few left in 9
    Lol yup,I'm in region 9, there's lots of bears to kill out here..

hi everyone. another question abt taxidermy . if its decent bear 100+ kg should i open and skin him (and how to do it correctly ) ? if its happen far frm the road its only option.
    if its 1st week of summer it could be really hot weather - how much time i have ...
    that taxidermists charge $2k + for rag ...not cheap . how all that process works ? should i find somebody and book in advance ?
    thanks
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    Sure its easy to go blast a B Bear in my back yard, but I like the adventure. I would like to maybe go explore towards Bella Coola, looking for a big black bear...any tips or suggestions? Usually I go to Van Isle, but maybe thinking about not having to hit a ferry...
    What kind of trip are you looking to experience? Personally my advice is always think about locations you would like to scout for other species or make it a fishing combo

Never done Bella Coola but in my opinion done right it has the potential of being an awesome hunt/experience. I would do this by boat off the ocean if it was my trip. Combo of fishing and hunting

Considering doing this but in the North west coast

There is so many awesome bear hunting locations that basically no one bear hunts in BC. Lots of places that don’t have the islands reputation but meet or surpass it in quality bear hunting

Quote Originally Posted by roddem View Post
    hi everyone. another question abt taxidermy . if its decent bear 100+ kg should i open and skin him (and how to do it correctly ) ? if its happen far frm the road its only option.
    if its 1st week of summer it could be really hot weather - how much time i have ...
    that taxidermists charge $2k + for rag ...not cheap . how all that process works ? should i find somebody and book in advance ?
    thanks
    Rod
    Best advice is talk to a taxidermist because they will give you the most reliable advice

Skin, flesh, salt and keep the hide dry does wonders if done right

bella coola has a lot of bears and is a experiance..
    i never hunted there just fought a fire

I’ll be doing a 10 day solo trip end of May this year, wife is visiting family over in Europe. I am kind of thinking about doing a mini-tour of sorts, hitting a few different areas every day or two. There’s a lot of the province I haven’t seen despite living here my whole life! I have a few places in mind but wondering if anyone had any general areas they would recommend?

Northwest BC is great bear hunting and fishing. Don’t know what you’re into so it’s hard to really make a suggestion

I don't think it matters too much where you go in BC. Black bears will be there, it's just a matter of finding them. With that said.
    I am not keen on bear but much prefer spring bear, less fat. Where to hunt spring bear. When bears emerge, the first thing they want to do is purge themselves, get the bowl moving. That means they want to forage on some nice new grass and other soft vegetation. Look for south slopes where the grass is exposed to the sun and of course the grass is going to grow greener and faster there. After that watch for ungulates giving birth. A slight whiff of placenta on a meandering spring breeze will have them charging inbound. Pays to pack a fawn in distress call too. You will be doing the ungulate population good too.
    Ever eat omega 3 eggs? They taste pretty good poached, fried or boiled. I whipped some up for a light omelette a while back and soon discovered where the omega 3 comes from. Chickens are fed fish meal and that is the source of omega 3.
    Fall bear hunting? Want to get omega 3 in your bear meat? Hunt the spawning beds along the rivers or where the fish carcasses accumulate on the lake shores. Otherwise, find the biggest berry patch.
    I was to the Salmon Arm Fish and Game Club banquet a couple of years back. The members donate various game meats. For the occasion, Sedo's butcher shop makes a bear/deer/jalapeno and a bear/elk/jalapeno pepperoni which is served as hors d'oeuvres. Hmm m good.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Lots of bears on VI but with that being said. I think all regions need a bear population reduction