Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring bear 2019

Re: Spring bear 2019

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    LOL I hear ya. I'm thinking about it recently too. It's hard. I know I won't get out much this year.

Oh well. I only just started eating the 2018 bear. Burgers are cooking at this exact moment. Small bear but probably the best I have had so far.
    I have too many friends who remind me about spring bear from them asking for advice, trying to get me to join their trip or asking to take them around my place. If they would just leave me alone my mind may return to normal lol

Right now I am debating on just hunting near home or doing a trip to the coast

Since this is my last spring hunting bear as a B.C. resident might even put in for QCI black bear

How do you guys prevent your meat from spoiling during warm days?

Quote Originally Posted by drift6969 View Post
    Drive home lol

I love the fall bears, layers of fat for rendering lard and the roasts are unreal. They are not stacked up like in the spring when they are on grass, but the berry fed bears taste better. And 20-40% bigger.

I am tired of chasing bears into the bush after the shot. It is outrageously fun but maybe age is tempering my capacity for risk. I plan on switching to copper bullets in my .308 and using shoulder shots, no more almost stepping on wounded bears in thick bush for me.

All depends on the weather but for the most part deboned small portions in game bags hung in the shade with a good breeze

At times if conditions allow drive to higher elevation and burry it in the snow in bags

have also hung it under bridges

I usually want it in a cooler/freezer within 4 days give or take depending on the temps.

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    I love the fall bears, layers of fat for rendering lard and the roasts are unreal. They are not stacked up like in the spring when they are on grass, but the berry fed bears taste better. And 20-40% bigger.

I am tired of chasing bears into the bush after the shot. It is outrageously fun but maybe age is tempering my capacity for risk. I plan on switching to copper bullets in my .308 and using shoulder shots, no more almost stepping on wounded bears in thick bush for me.
    Where is your sense of adventure lol

Evening bears down I put the meat in a rubbermaid and put it in a snow run-off drainage for a bit, then put it in front of the car and go zzzz

Morning or afternoon bears I drive home. Usually I have some cooler ice to toss in with the game bags but if not I hit the first gas station.

All the more reason to hunt close to home. I really equate it to acquiring a dozen gallons of milk that starts warm. Treat it like that and you're all good.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 01-13-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Had a couple incidents like that. So far nobody mauled but my wife broke her face (nose, double black eyes) a couple years back.

Last year was the one I realized how severely one gets distracted following a blood trail knowingly going after a liver shot 30 mins after. Lots of mistakes there but it all worked out. Keep your head up, look for bear before blood.

After my pal got chewed up this spring i am thinking differently, it is less of an abstract thought. As much as I feel alive following drips of blood under blowdown in balsam jungles, there has been enough close calls to warrant changing the shot placement. It will still happen when people straight up shoot poorly though.

After my pal got chewed up this spring i am thinking differently, it is less of an abstract thought. As much as I feel alive following drips of blood under blowdown in balsam jungles, there has been enough close calls to warrant changing the shot placement. It will still happen when people straight up shoot poorly though.
    Hope your friend has healed up ok

i have had a few close calls that have taught me to take my time and carry a pocket full of rocks.