Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring bear 2019

Re: Spring bear 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Umm bait and bears not a good idea in BC
    I don't hunt them over the bait..
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    I don't hunt them over the bait..
    I assuem you meant you set up for deer well scouting bears then?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I assuem you meant you set up for deer well scouting bears then?
    No Deer left where I Bear hunt.

They were all pit lamped out of existence, on their wintering ground, a couple years ago..

Be cool to have a Grizz show up on one the cams, now that there in the area though..
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

oh dear ..

Pay close attention to properly assess whether or not the bear you're looking at has Cubs nearby. Take your time.

^^^^this is very true, it has cost me in not shooting a few bears, but still better than shooting one with cubs

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    No Deer left where I Bear hunt.

They were all pit lamped out of existence, on their wintering ground, a couple years ago..

Be cool to have a Grizz show up on one the cams, now that there in the area though..
    If you are not setting out bait to attract ungulates but trying to attract bears your treading a fine line. If this is the case I would not want to be trying to explain myself to a CO

If this is the case it’s a grey area I don’t even want to touch on

Quote Originally Posted by Numenor604 View Post
    Pay close attention to properly assess whether or not the bear you're looking at has Cubs nearby. Take your time.
    This is good advice expecially for new bear hunters. First year cubs are small so it helps to watch the mannerisms of the bear. Often a sow with cubs will seem a little more nervous and not as directly focused on feeding. So if the wind is good and the bear seems be a little on guard take a little extra time observing the bear

Learning to judge a boar from a sow helps. This takes time to get good at and young bears are tougher to judge then mature bears. With young boars outside of the head is larger proportionally to the body then a sow the difference in the body is more slight. For the most part I just know when I see them

For a mature boar they have some tells. Longer neck and the front end is more muscular. You can see this in their shoulders and front legs. They become almost pigeon toed and lumber when they walk. The head is larger compared to a sow (there is rare exceptions). Overall a sow seems more round and soft vs the boar

Seeing boars and sows together during the rut really helps one learn to tell the difference. Seeing the two together being able compare them helps improve your skill to judge the difference

I have a really good track record of judging bears but years back my buddy shot a huge sow that we swore was a boar. So even though you are confident you are looking at a boar take the time to look for cubs just in case you judge the sex wrong

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    ^^^^this is very true, it has cost me in not shooting a few bears, but still better than shooting one with cubs
    I'll admit to "almost" shooting a sow with cubs. By "almost" I mean my gut feeling and a tad conscious analyzing. Repeat story but good lesson. I watched this bear for an hour, two nights in row (so total 2 hours). It was the most time I have ever spent hanging out with a bear. It hung close to cover, a few yards into the feeding area and never once came wide out in the open where the good grass was. I was watching from 60-70 yards through binos. First night I wrote it off as a juvenile. When it started getting dark I walked right by it and filmed it for a couple minutes from 10-15 yards. It seemed like a pretty chill bear other than hunching up while staring at me and chewing grass. I moved on. Second night same deal, started out watching it through binos w/ bear being so quiet and sticking close to cover. About a half hour into it, I see a couple black things darting around back in the thick brush where it transitions to old growth. I hung out for another half hour before it started getting dark and I had to walk by again. She was a little more skittish this time and gave me a brief pucker moment running a few yards toward me then off to the side into cover. So 2 hours total watching that bear and a total of 2-3 seconds of seeing cubs. I was glad I did not rely on "seeing" alone. I think behaviour is a big indicator. It was a great weekend for watching bears I suppose. The next morning I got to watch a boar (mostly snoozing and rolling around) for an hour in the same spot before I decided to do that sow a solid and take the boar out. Turned out she wasn't far away either, as I got to listen to endless jaw clacking from her from her spot in the timber while I worked on the boar.

My biggest indictor in the spring is behaviour. If it walks right out in the open like it owns the place, 95% boar right there. Wide hips vs wide shoulders is a bit of an indicator. I won't shoot anything that looks or acts like a sow no matter how long I spent watching for cubs after my experience. Even in the spring cubs can be stashed away back in thick cover.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 01-18-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Caddisguy

I completely understand the won’t shoot anything that looks like a sow. Those small first year cubs can be tough to see in the under growth

The fear of shooting a sow with cubs was a big factor why I paid very close attention to my mentors in my youth when it came to judging a boar from a sow. I had the advantage of experienced hunters with me bear hunting for 6 years before I hunted bears solo and I know many don’t get that advantage. I put a lot of effort passing this on to rookies I take out these days.

You are correct on mannerisms being helpful. I find a boar moves different in general down to how they walk but I find it hard to explain

Your mention of a sow (with cubs definitely)comes into the open with caution compared to a boar I agree with this majority of the time but I also find some huge old boars with do the same. Odds are you would realize it’s a big old boar once he stepped out anyway

Some of the big old boars get smart expecially if they have been pushed by hunters. Some get smart and cautious to the point during the rut they let the sow go into the open to start. Seen some sneaky tricks from old boars

Either way watching mannerisms is a good indicator