Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring bear 2019

Re: Spring bear 2019

Definitly a few months to go but it will go quick!

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    Huh?? Where do you live? We are at 107-115% snow pack up here in 7a! Could get another couple feet up high before April 1st. I like your enthusiasm though!! Moosin

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    Huh?? Where do you live? We are at 107-115% snow pack up here in 7a! Could get another couple feet up high before April 1st. I like your enthusiasm though!! Moosin
    Already reports of bears showing up in the Fraser Valley. It should be a decent opener at lower elevations.

Bears hiding behind every tree up here.They are my go to for most of my wild game now.Moose and deer are a bonus now?Used to be the other way around?

Quote Originally Posted by markomoose View Post
    Bears hiding behind every tree up here.They are my go to for most of my wild game now.Moose and deer are a bonus now?Used to be the other way around?
    Same here,that nice mulie i hammered last oct 31 st is almost devoured,will be needing a nice bear to get me thru to next fall moose/deer hunt again

takla
    Pemby Quote: "Ah well ,cant be perfect" .... " sometimes i think that this tread is actually a wormhole to another dimension"

With all do respect Mr willyqbc, I talked to 2 Conservation Officer's at the Boat Show booth, @ BC Place, last weekend.

Told them exactly what I posted on here.

They both, one male, one female, thought it was a good idea!

As long as you are not hunting, OVER the bait.

Using a trail cam, as a tool, to identify Ursus Americanus, in the area,

was a good idea with both these conservation officers.

Reason, help to assist hunter in identifying any Sow with Cubs, Dominate Boar etc, in the area.

OVER is obviously the grey area.

Let's clear that up ethically?

As long as your ethics in obeying the law, that, "shall not bait bears", antenna is working?

Here is an example; the bear's behavior, can in no way, be influenced, by your baited trail cam.

Thoughts?
    First off, I will say I have absolutely no "ethical" issues with baiting....I think it would eliminate lots of juvenile bears being shot, and lots of cubs being orphaned.

I do have a hard time understanding how 2 CO's could "interpret" the regulation so differently from what i'm seeing in the regulation

18. To intentionally feed or attempt to feed
    dangerous wildlife (cougar, coyote, wolf
    and bear), except when lawfully engaged in
    hunting or trapping where baiting is authorized
    (cougar, coyote and wolf only).

It seems pretty crystal clear to me that you cannot intentionally feed bears for any reason. Now, if you are baiting for DEER (hint,hint) with a trail cam and you "incidentally" happen to get some bears on camera....well thats a different story....its all about intent. Where it crosses the regulation is when someone baiting, specifically states the purpose is to bring in bears

JMO
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Think I’m going to try fora bear this spring . Do you find it is any better than one taken in the fall ?
    Arctic Lake

I prefer spring for the meat and hide, and fall for the tallow!!!!
    May 4th and 11th last year I took my boars, it has certainly been a more mild winter this year but we have no shortage of snow ans it's frigid now... Planning my first crack at bears for Easter Monday this year... Fingers crossed !!

This year the meat stash is not bad, will run out just in time for caribou. So bear season will be elk scouting with a rifle for me. Looking for a brute for a nice rug.

But its -30 right now ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    tags just came out today!! now i'm getting pumped
    Haha I bought mine yesterday after reading your post!

I prefer the meat from a fall bear, and the lard is great. I will try for spring bear to stock up on sausages for cooking on the fire while camping this summer. Bratwurst!