Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spike Fork Moose And Elk Hunt

Re: Spike Fork Moose And Elk Hunt

Everything will help agreed.
    The elk population crisis won’t repair without some sacrifices. I don’t like it but sure hate it the way it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by j270wsm View Post
    Keep in mind that a big part of our elk issue is a direct result of too many cow/calf leh!!!

Now that there is only 1 cow/calf leh.......we might have a chance to start rebuilding the herd.
    Well, yes and no.
    They did curb the amount of Cow LEH tags back in the late 90's.
    It was at the same time that the 6pt rule came into effect.
    Remember also, they felt it was so bad, they even left the season closed until Sept 25th for an opening (something like that!?)

And best guesses were that after that, yes, elk came back, somewhere in the area of 20,000.
    Some even estimated it as high as 25,000.

The problem was/is, from all the info I have come across is this:
    1)Private Landowners wanting elk removed from low elevations, thus Zone X introduction.
    1a) possibly ICBC wanting these same elk removed due to traffic accidents
    2)Research showing elk migrating down to winter range, BUT, not migrating back
    2a)Is that because Predation, like wolf and cougar and grizzly #'s are so high, that these elk felt safer staying on a ranchers land, as preds tend to avoid these areas?

Worst is, if 20,000 elk made for great hunting opportunity and potential success,
    THEN WHY, is it that they are now only trying to reach an objective goal of 12,000 head in the EK Trench for the future?

3)Winter Range Protection: well good luck with that one!!

Basically, they are not trying to get back to 20-25,000 head, only 12,000, if successful.
    After that, see the previous issues above.
    And 12,000 isn't a great # to have repeat hunters.

J-T is probably the best member on here to give us the "real deal" and probably is the best person with his hand on the pulse, so to speak, as to what all the issues are, and why the future isn't much brighter!
    6616, passed away, but he also had a great grasp on the situation, at the time, but I don't think he saw Zone X and it's implications before he passed.

6pt could have been dropped to 3 pt some years ago, but they didn't, when things had improved, before zone x.
    Now we have to contend with Zone X after effects.

All honesty, give us more restrictions, but in the end, its just a joke, imo.

I hear and read constantly from hunters who all want big populations again. As do I (trust me) a majority expect this to coincide with our current policies and regulations. I fail to see how this is possible. To grow numbers back without restricting and regulating hunter movement and opportunity seems like a fairy tale. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by RobU View Post
    I hear and read constantly from hunters who all want big populations again. As do I (trust me) a majority expect this to coincide with our current policies and regulations. I fail to see how this is possible. To grow numbers back without restricting and regulating hunter movement and opportunity seems like a fairy tale. IMO
    The main issue, isn't hunter related, or movement.
    Its about the fact that if elk stay in the low country (due to preds to some degree?), that the private property owners
    want them "executed"..huhummm, I mean "Culled".
    And since the elk have no where to go, other then to private property come winter (no real winter range/undeveloped designation zones).
    And, then throw in some of the heavy logging.

How do you propose we grow more elk?
    Where would they go in the winter?
    Where can they avoid the heavy number of Preds?
    We already have big areas under "vehicle hunting restriction" for 40 years +.

What more then just "shut it down" to hunting.
    Then watch it decline further, because at that point, what the hell would I care!?

I know you care, I get that.
    But you need to go back in history, read all that happened, all the changes and restrictions that came etc.
    Then, ask yourself why we still don't have elk.
    What changed??? hunters #'s increase??? (not a chance, they've declined)
    So, what is it then.????????????????????????????

Elk are realitive newcomers to the EK as far as big numbers are go.
    During the early part of the 1900’s pops were estimated to be below 5000.
    So 12000 is very solid imo.
    Blacktailaholic

Don’t need history lesson thanks Bugle M In.

Sniper sights. Good luck with your elk quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandeer View Post
    Elk are realitive newcomers to the EK as far as big numbers are go.
    During the early part of the 1900’s pops were estimated to be below 5000.
    So 12000 is very solid imo.
    True, but the highs are believed to be 25,000.
    We are talking about "having hunting opportunities'" aren't we?
    All was going good around 2005, after 5+ years of reduced Cow LEH, yet, 6 pt restriction never lifted?????why???
    So, don't get me wrong, when the issue is "over harvesting" of our breeding stalk, then I agree with restriction.
    Just, this time around, it has nothing to do with over harvest, it has to do with only having a "certain level" that
    satisfies "other user groups".
    At least that's my take on the "current situation" going forward.
    So, everyone is looking forward to elk season in the EK that might only ever be LEH???
    Okay, I only have a so many years left.
    It my friends sons/daughters as well as my own, and some of the young guns in there 20's coming up that
    will have to suffer.
    Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by RobU View Post
    Don’t need history lesson thanks Bugle M In.

Sniper sights. Good luck with your elk quest.
    Well, no need about asking about a Cow LEH closure then, cause Zone X from my understanding is gone come next season, and so is some of the early young bull opportunity with bow potentially.
    Like JT said, can grow elk in the High Country, if there ain't any in the Lowlands up there either.
    Bad Policies, not bad hunters.

Zone X here is only a few farms. Spike rifle season was closed this year, I have`nt seen antlerless leh here in years and...seriously, how many bulls get taken by archers? Not that many.Some say predaters but I haven`t seen anything to back that up in St.Marys valley.We have had a lot of snow the last few winters though.I don`t bother to buy an elk tag anymore-3 years now. Just doing my part. And saving money.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    Zone X here is only a few farms. Spike rifle season was closed this year, I have`nt seen antlerless leh here in years and...seriously, how many bulls get taken by archers? Not that many.Some say predaters but I haven`t seen anything to back that up in St.Marys valley.We have had a lot of snow the last few winters though.I don`t bother to buy an elk tag anymore-3 years now. Just doing my part. And saving money.
    I know, zone X was the best rationale given to the issue however.
    Valleys I hunted in have lots of logging to make up for the lack of snow slides and fresh scree slopes for feed, however, logging the
    entire valleys from one rim rock cliff to the other rim rock cliff is going a bit too far.
    Beetle Kill and Windfall was another factor that destroyed some great areas like wallows/bedding etc.
    Wolves and noticing more GBear and Cougar as well (which can target elk as well, efficiently)
    IT was looking good by around 2005, and then suddenly went the other way???
    But, I also noticed way, way less hunter activity during the time I spend up there, compared to 20 years ago as well.
    I thought at some point we might see the 6Pt restriction go back down to 3PT.

And, any of the most recent studies on the elk I suppose can be thrown out the window, think the last was around 2010 (?).

But I know a lot of people feel the same, it's not just me, wondering "where did the elk go", a lot of them anyways??
    Don't know how any more restrictions are going to help "long term"???
    Especially if it isn't over hunting that is causing it?
    Just my opinion, but yes, I am concerned like the next guy/gal as to "whats up"?