Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spike Fork Moose And Elk Hunt

Spike Fork Moose And Elk Hunt

Thinking about heading to the mainland next year for the 6 point bull/ spike fork moose season. Wondering if anyone has any pointers as to method, area, times etc. This will be my first ever elk/moose hunt. I have tons of experience bear hunting, and deer and grouse if that will help at all. Thanks in advance for any advice offered

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spike Fork Moose And Elk Hunt

Forget about the E.K. One of the worst elk seasons ever and few moose as well. We gotta put elk on an leh for a while.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Go north young man, go north.

Tons of great territory from Fort St. John north to the Yukon border. Long drive filters out the smart people too.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Go north young man, go north.

Tons of great territory from Fort St. John north to the Yukon border. Long drive filters out the smart people too.
    Did you mean lazy and not smart ? Lol

Prince George
    lots of elk and a spike moose season.

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    Forget about the E.K. One of the worst elk seasons ever and few moose as well. We gotta put elk on an leh for a while.
    I agree with the poor elk season Joe but not the LEH! Hunter success on 6 point bulls is not the problem.

when I lived up in Terrace we did well in the chetwyn to ft st John area. The spot we hunted was 3pt or better on elk and spike fork/tripalm/10 pt. lots of pressure but we alway got chances.
    KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    Ohhh, don't go use the "LEH" word buddy!
    Although, I agree, it would not surprise me that it would be headed there and soon.
    I know what others are saying, experienced it myself, for several years now, and not getting better, imo.
    Although there is the "odd member" that disagree, but that's there opinion.

I too am thinking of heading north next season, and doing some research on it right now.
    Seeing if a jetboat is possible etc.
    But, I suspect it is going to get busy up there, if it's not already!!!????
    That's the sad part, hunters being forced to go crowd one Region because another Region got totally "mismanaged".
    Didn't need to be that way!!
    And LEH alone wont fix that problem!, again another sad fact, just another band ais that in time will come off,
    and the bleeding will continue.

There needs to be some "real fixes" for the Region in some MU's when it comes to elk.
    And, Moose, okay where I am, but you will never get the chance at a decent bull unless you get the coveted LEH.
    If I get the LEH, I will be back there, otherwise, I am looking hard at other Regions as well as some of those
    Rosie Elk LEH's.

Just my opinion on the affairs of elk in the EK.
    There not all gone, but way less #'s then I ever recall....ever!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    I agree with the poor elk season Joe but not the LEH! Hunter success on 6 point bulls is not the problem.

when I lived up in Terrace we did well in the chetwyn to ft st John area. The spot we hunted was 3pt or better on elk and spike fork/tripalm/10 pt. lots of pressure but we alway got chances.
    Exactly, LEH wont fix it.
    Need to fix the other things that are the real cause.
    Add LEH once you fixed that first, to help grow #'s quicker.
    But LEH on its own, is just more of the same disaster happening.
    Kiss Zone X good by for sure.
    Kiss the bow season for any bull good bye as well, imo.
    LEH, probably might happen! and that's a bad day for BC and how bad management of game has become.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Ohhh, don't go use the "LEH" word buddy!
    Although, I agree, it would not surprise me that it would be headed there and soon.
    I know what others are saying, experienced it myself, for several years now, and not getting better, imo.
    Although there is the "odd member" that disagree, but that's there opinion.

I too am thinking of heading north next season, and doing some research on it right now.
    Seeing if a jetboat is possible etc.
    But, I suspect it is going to get busy up there, if it's not already!!!????
    That's the sad part, hunters being forced to go crowd one Region because another Region got totally "mismanaged".
    Didn't need to be that way!!
    And LEH alone wont fix that problem!, again another sad fact, just another band ais that in time will come off,
    and the bleeding will continue.

There needs to be some "real fixes" for the Region in some MU's when it comes to elk.
    And, Moose, okay where I am, but you will never get the chance at a decent bull unless you get the coveted LEH.
    If I get the LEH, I will be back there, otherwise, I am looking hard at other Regions as well as some of those
    Rosie Elk LEH's.

Just my opinion on the affairs of elk in the EK.
    There not all gone, but way less #'s then I ever recall....ever!!
    leh not the answer what is besides the obvious predator control and road closures/deactivation. Numbers need to rebound. Not healthy to leave things the way they are. Broken! The north rivers are seeing huge increase in boats and pressure as well.

Keep in mind that a big part of our elk issue is a direct result of too many cow/calf leh!!!

Now that there is only 1 cow/calf leh.......we might have a chance to start rebuilding the herd.