Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little trailcam check, BIG bobcat. Guesses on weight?

Little trailcam check, BIG bobcat. Guesses on weight?

A few years back not too far from this we had a similar bobcat actually try to make a move on us (dialed in and belly crawling to 5 yards or so to pounce position, almost caught us off guard) ... before I started hunting I hadn't really seen many bobcats, just read they were usually 7-15lbs on average. Any guesses how much this thing weighs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-JCiVOYloI

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Little trailcam check, BIG bobcat. Guesses on weight?

Pretty Cool, but have no idea on weight. (Guessing 12 -14 pnds? but no real reference to get an idea in the video).
    True Cat guys might know.
    Finally saw my 1st one around McLean lake a few weeks back.
    Awesome colors on all those types of Cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Pretty Cool, but have no idea on weight. (Guessing 12 -14 pnds? but no real reference to get an idea in the video).
    True Cat guys might know.
    Finally saw my 1st one around McLean lake a few weeks back.
    Awesome colors on all those types of Cats.
    They are pretty neat. They often hold tight when you are walking by them. I almost stepped on a couple years back. It let out a Hollywood lion roar as it exploded from under my feet. Almost pooped myself lol ... then I noticed the stump he was working had dozens of mice all over the place. This one is probably after the snowshoe hare. I saw a dozen or so last week... all white but no snow. I could have grabbed a couple of them by hand but there's no season for them on this side of the fraser.

I should have walked by the camera at the same place for scale. Maybe I'll get out there next weekend. I think that cat is pretty big (20-30) but all I have is a deer trail on the side of the screen to scale... but yeah maybe some cat guys who can judge how it's built can give us a hint.

35-40ish....likely mature make

Well, I'm not experienced or anything but I do have a fatass 20lb cat at home and he looks small compared to that lol. I think northof49 is right on the size.

Hard to judge by the clip but to give you an idea average bobcat i have trapped is 25lbs or less. I did run traplines in regions 2&3 in the past targeting bobcats often. I have caught some big bobcats when I was trapping that hit in the 40lbs+ range

Personally I see a good size bobcat in that clip but not huge. Like I said hard to judge with the clip

Thanks! Neat to see anyway. It's actually the first time we picked up one on the trailcams... checking that one off the list lol. I think the only critters we haven't picked up in that area are wolves (just started seeing tracks and hearing them this year) and elk. Time for a Region 2 grizz, sasquatch or space creatures.

I left 3 cams up for the winter and will try to grab them in March before the bears eat them and we can shed hunt while we're at it. It seems to be a wintering area full of deer/elk/moose/cat sign and I put up all the cams on good intersecting trails, except one which is just on a single trail. 2/3 cams have high resolution and good sound too. It's nice to have something to look forward to over the winter. I always struggle with winter bordom. Only 3 months to go!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Hard to judge by the clip but to give you an idea average bobcat i have trapped is 25lbs or less. I did run traplines in regions 2&3 in the past targeting bobcats often. I have caught some big bobcats when I was trapping that hit in the 40lbs+ range

Personally I see a good size bobcat in that clip but not huge. Like I said hard to judge with the clip
    Ya I wish it was a better clip with something to scale. I wasn't sure if there are tricks for judging them like bears (pumpkin head, small ears far apart) If I get back in there I'll walk by the camera in the same spot to give us an idea. If not, in March I should have a lot of footage of deer and various cats walking that same trail in March.

I have footage of cougars and deer at similar distance and the size seems comparable, but I am not ready to say that bobcat is truly similar in size lol ... something is off. I was really confused when I watched it on the tablet. I must have watched it 50x before I fell asleep in my car. At first I thought it was a cougar with bobcat ears and a funny angle not showing the long tail. Then I started thinking maybe it was a big bobcat the worlds creepiest deer. It was more clear when I got home yesterday.

I am sure he has eaten more than his share of bunnies (funny I saw a dozen or so last weekend but none this in that spot this weekend) ... I actually had a trapper that works on that line weigh in and he said it was 20ish.

My conclusion is that it is somewhere between 15 and 40lbs LOL.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 12-10-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Great footage...cool cat...are you sure that is a bob and not a lynx?....only a guess but his back doesn't seem to be arched enough for a Bob...seems to move more like a lynx.....does anyone else see lynx instead of Bobcat? I may be totally wrong ???

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    are you sure that is a bob and not a lynx?....only a guess but his back doesn't seem to be arched enough for a Bob...seems to move more like a lynx.....does anyone else see lynx instead of Bobcat? I may be totally wrong ???
    I considered that too. It's possible. I am not good with cats by any means. I was looking at lynx pics this morning as they are bigger on average so that would explain the size. I can't make out the beard or pointy ears and it doesn't seem to have longer legs like a lynx... but it is crouching down sniffing. You can see at the end where it's walking normally and it almost looks like a deer bum... pretty high off the ground. Too bad with the IR it's tough to make out any fur patterns.

And back to size and scale, the cat is about 15-20ft from the camera. The camera is wide screen and I zoomed and cropped the video by 25%. I am not sure if it would be a linear calculation to say that means its still wide screen but what you would expect to see from 11-15ft. My math would be about as good as my cat ID / judging
    Last edited by caddisguy; 12-10-2018 at 12:27 PM.