Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wonder if he will be around next year?, Nice Rubs!

Wonder if he will be around next year?, Nice Rubs!

So, came across these late in the season.
    Unfortunately, I hadn't been able to hit the area when I was up there around Nov 10th this season.
    I found them around Nov 25th, and obviously made weeks before.
    I do believe they were made just leading up to the rut, not at velvet rub off time.
    It's been years since I seen some like this of that caliber.
    Sadly, wolf tracks, and some big ones in the area as well.
    Also, I don't know if anyone managed to take him, or what will happen to him in the off season,
    being poached or most likely taken by the FN Band in the area, as they can be very active.
    Not sure how much they hunt outside of the season.
    Anyways, hoping he comes back next season, as I think this will be a decent buck, as these type of rubs aren't very common anymore where I hunt (they used to be, and some nice 200+ bucks ended up falling).
    There were 7 rubs in total, in a 30 yard area.
    Wonder if I should have been in the area Nov 1st or if he made them around the 10th?
    Any thoughts of when?
    Pictures for those who have an interest
    Enjoy.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wonder if he will be around next year?, Nice Rubs!

See the odd ones like that most every season, but nit so many so close together. My mind says he is hanging around that area for at least a while as the rubs would in most cases take several efforts to make the kind your pictures show. With a lot of them in relativley smaller area would indicate several buck at different times. But not saying 1 buck couldn’t have more than 1 rub. Be there a little earlier in November next year would be my advice. Nice pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 point View Post
    See the odd ones like that most every season, but nit so many so close together. My mind says he is hanging around that area for at least a while as the rubs would in most cases take several efforts to make the kind your pictures show. With a lot of them in relativley smaller area would indicate several buck at different times. But not saying 1 buck couldn’t have more than 1 rub. Be there a little earlier in November next year would be my advice. Nice pictures.
    Last time I seen a group like this (there were 4 of them in a perfect square configuration,10'x10'x10'x10', it seemed),
    the fellow took a nice 200+ buck in the area.
    I "used" to see rubs like this every other year at times (one here, one there, but not grouped), but over the last bunch
    of years, which was also around the time that R5 shutdown for 10 days, these type of rubs have also disappeared.
    So yes, was excited to finally see something decent again.
    Amazing how they can go way past just taking the bark off, and start shredding away the actual green inside, like using a knife to widdle away wood (very last picture shows that).

The only reason why I think it is from 1 Buck only, is not only the close proximation, but they all seem to be the same length, but the fact that no where else on those 3 separate ridges, did I find more rubs like that anywhere.
    1 maybe, that was decent, but not to these.

I know I just need to find time to get up there earlier like stated, beginning of November (as that's when I think he
    was making these).
    It's a nice little bench that just out, say 80 yards by 100 yards, on a fairly steep slope otherwise, but lots of does just above him and more so down below traditionally.

My only comment about the FN/Wolves was not to point fingers (and should mention poachers), but the truth is,
    for us, the season is now over (today in the area).
    I know wolves are around, and I know this buck will be worn out, so that is never a good thing, although snow so far is
    virtually non existent right now up there, so that's good.
    But, do they get him??, don't know, but, wolves now play into the equation there, where they never did in the past, so predation on bucks like this were low, thus a good chance seeing him again.
    The FN is also another unknown, and that is frustrating to me, because we have no idea "how much they hunt it" post season???
    And this band "does hunt", but no idea "how many hunt"? or "how long they?, year round??" and "how many do they take"??
    I left Merrit years ago because of all the night time pit lamping around Peter Hope etc.
    Some bands hunt very little, some a lot.
    Sometimes there are only a couple members who do this, sometimes it's way more members.

It is what it is, but between the wolves, and the FN lack of reporting, and then the potential that there is possibly the odd poacher that might take advantage of a situation, we don't really know what happens to our "honey holes"
    post season!?
    I know there was a thread about a "good start to winter survival", which is always a big factor.
    "But do we really know what happens now that the season is over"???
    I am not optimistic I will find these rubs again next season.
    I used to be, and did, but nowdays, this is a rare event, and never repeated the next year, and I hunt quite late into the
    season.
    So, where did they go, cause they don't seem to make repeat appearances the following year??
    I guess this is just the way it is "now"?

Well first off if its region 5 its closed from the 11th to the 20th of Nov..I too found exact same size rubs ..Big bucks make these is my guess..I found a spot that last year he shit 30 times in a 30 x 30 area..Also rubs before and after ..This year he was back ..I sat on a chair and waited for him..4 hours later he came chasing a doe ..Both deer mouths wide open ...tongues hanging out ...Just about ran me over ..There was another buck behind the big guy..They came about 5-10 feet from me ..I threw up the gun and the big buck veered right and I missed him..the trailer buck was smaller..I found fresh rubs from Nov1 till the 25th ..They seem to rub brush when cleaning then fir when they are aggressive...Although they can rub brush out of frustration ...Jump the buck and does and separate them and that buck will rub and vent his anger later..Just my observations ..This buck I missed that was chasing a doe was on the 25th of Nov..I had wolves in my area also..Also a cougar in the area ..Never saw or heard the wolves in my honey hole but on the road ..Ive killed many many big bucks over 30 years of hunting this area and there is a big change in numbers and habits..It used to be colder and way more snowy than it is now ..Really changes their habits ..Way harder to hunt now ..Mostly nocturnal and heavy thick timber during the day in my area..Fir and pine ...This area used to produce about a dozen big bucks of 170 class and up ..We even had some 250 class non typicals ...Those big deer are different now ..Now only a very few around..I love the hunt for big muley bucks ..Its my passion..They are a real challenge..My only advice is ...Hunt it every year and maybe you will see him ...I'm retired now since 2011 and have all the time I want but its still a very hard game..Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    Well first off if its region 5 its closed from the 11th to the 20th of Nov..I too found exact same size rubs ..Big bucks make these is my guess..I found a spot that last year he shit 30 times in a 30 x 30 area..Also rubs before and after ..This year he was back ..I sat on a chair and waited for him..4 hours later he came chasing a doe ..Both deer mouths wide open ...tongues hanging out ...Just about ran me over ..There was another buck behind the big guy..They came about 5-10 feet from me ..I threw up the gun and the big buck veered right and I missed him..the trailer buck was smaller..I found fresh rubs from Nov1 till the 25th ..They seem to rub brush when cleaning then fir when they are aggressive...Although they can rub brush out of frustration ...Jump the buck and does and separate them and that buck will rub and vent his anger later..Just my observations ..This buck I missed that was chasing a doe was on the 25th of Nov..I had wolves in my area also..Also a cougar in the area ..Never saw or heard the wolves in my honey hole but on the road ..Ive killed many many big bucks over 30 years of hunting this area and there is a big change in numbers and habits..It used to be colder and way more snowy than it is now ..Really changes their habits ..Way harder to hunt now ..Mostly nocturnal and heavy thick timber during the day in my area..Fir and pine ...This area used to produce about a dozen big bucks of 170 class and up ..We even had some 250 class non typicals ...Those big deer are different now ..Now only a very few around..I love the hunt for big muley bucks ..Its my passion..They are a real challenge..My only advice is ...Hunt it every year and maybe you will see him ...I'm retired now since 2011 and have all the time I want but its still a very hard game..Dennis
    Sounds like exactly how I would describe things.
    This is a R3 area, so it is open.
    But, the amount of hunters ever since R5 did close for 10 days has gotten crazy.
    I thought this year, with the ATV ban in those 3 MU's, and the 1 MD limit, would cut the numbers of the previous few years by at least half.
    Nope!
    Busiest I have ever seen the area, with probably a 50% increase again (WTF???, makes no sense).
    Only concern about it is, when seasons between Regions don't align, this is what happens to some MU's in close proximity to the closed Region.
    Just feel like we are all swimming in a smaller and smaller pond, year after year, the pond keeps shrinking.

Sounds like your in R5, otherwise I could have sworn you and I are hunting the exact same hill and roads.

I do hope I see more sign of him once again next season, but I do wonder what happens till then?
    Been a long time to see a repeat buck/rubs.
    I do know they will, depending on the buck, come back to the same location (within reason), year after year.
    Can't say that I see that happening anymore.
    Here today, gone by next year.
    Hunter success, yes.
    FN success, yes.
    But have either of those factors made for the change in not seeing repeating bucks??
    And, now wolves, and some more cougars then before.
    Hard to feel optimistic.
    But hey, I am a gluten for punishment.
    I'll be back, hope he will be as well!!

Off topic but what's with the finish on your gun? Its hard to tell from the pictures. And the checkering seems to be missing?? Is it a customized stock? Just curious cause i like wood and bluing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Sounds like exactly how I would describe things.
    This is a R3 area, so it is open.
    But, the amount of hunters ever since R5 did close for 10 days has gotten crazy.
    I thought this year, with the ATV ban in those 3 MU's, and the 1 MD limit, would cut the numbers of the previous few years by at least half.
    Nope!
    Busiest I have ever seen the area, with probably a 50% increase again (WTF???, makes no sense).
    Only concern about it is, when seasons between Regions don't align, this is what happens to some MU's in close proximity to the closed Region.
    Just feel like we are all swimming in a smaller and smaller pond, year after year, the pond keeps shrinking.

Sounds like your in R5, otherwise I could have sworn you and I are hunting the exact same hill and roads.

I do hope I see more sign of him once again next season, but I do wonder what happens till then?
    Been a long time to see a repeat buck/rubs.
    I do know they will, depending on the buck, come back to the same location (within reason), year after year.
    Can't say that I see that happening anymore.
    Here today, gone by next year.
    Hunter success, yes.
    FN success, yes.
    But have either of those factors made for the change in not seeing repeating bucks??
    And, now wolves, and some more cougars then before.
    Hard to feel optimistic.
    But hey, I am a gluten for punishment.
    I'll be back, hope he will be as well!!
    He is older then two and half..so he must be doing somthing right. Way I see it you got any better place to be?
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Oh, he could be a big three which is why he has got some age. Got one like that here figure he is maybe 6 1/2 or7. Thinking back first time I saw a big three in same place.

the predators are hard on the young..not usually mature deer. So you can have older class animals that persist for a fair while until old age and odds catch up... deal is with no recruitment numbers eventually collapse.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by wos View Post
    Off topic but what's with the finish on your gun? Its hard to tell from the pictures. And the checkering seems to be missing?? Is it a customized stock? Just curious cause i like wood and bluing.
    It's one of the last Husky models they ever made before they stopped selling production models to the public.
    Carl Gustaff Nitro
    It a 270 caliber, tack sharp with the right ammo combo (usually Winchester), and still reasonably light.
    Scope sucks, as it is a Burris replacement that I think is junk, that replaced my old posi lock burris signature that
    took a beating but always never left 0 (I miss that scope).
    There is checkering, but it is "very fine" cut, so hard to see.
    Originally the stock was bleached to be almost blonde with a high polish gloss coat (too reflective).
    Was sanded down a few times now, and a green stain added on top, and then a satin verathane.
    Holds of okay, but not perfect.
    Need to get the trigger guard powder coated, not spray painted, or, electroplated possibly?
    But the checkering is there, albeit fairly worn by now, just very fine. (very comfortable, imo)
    Problem with this rifle is, I could never find aftermarket triggers, and would like to get a laminated thumbholed stock,
    but again, it would require it to be custom fitted, cant find anything for it after market wise.
    Great gun, and has never let me down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    It's one of the last Husky models they ever made before they stopped selling production models to the public.
    Carl Gustaff Nitro
    It a 270 caliber, tack sharp with the right ammo combo (usually Winchester), and still reasonably light.
    Scope sucks, as it is a Burris replacement that I think is junk, that replaced my old posi lock burris signature that
    took a beating but always never left 0 (I miss that scope).
    There is checkering, but it is "very fine" cut, so hard to see.
    Originally the stock was bleached to be almost blonde with a high polish gloss coat (too reflective).
    Was sanded down a few times now, and a green stain added on top, and then a satin verathane.
    Holds of okay, but not perfect.
    Need to get the trigger guard powder coated, not spray painted, or, electroplated possibly?
    But the checkering is there, albeit fairly worn by now, just very fine. (very comfortable, imo)
    Problem with this rifle is, I could never find aftermarket triggers, and would like to get a laminated thumbholed stock,
    but again, it would require it to be custom fitted, cant find anything for it after market wise.
    Great gun, and has never let me down.
    Leave the gun the way it is! No thumb hole stock! I like it. Get a different scope if that one isn't doing the job.