Thread: Gas Powered Ice Augers

Gas Powered Ice Augers

What’s the lowdown on Eskimo augers?
    Always used Jiffy brand.
    Looking at the 51cc Shark.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Gas Powered Ice Augers

New model jiffy’s aren’t what they used to be, wouldn’t buy one

Eskimo are good augers, reliable, after 5 years with my shark z51 I replaced my fuel filter and lines and carb last year, blades replaced this year....run good fuel through it and hasn’t given me any problems

the newer models have 50/50 reports on reliability with the new hyper coil starter rope, some guys replace with the old style...my buddy had the hyper coil, no issues in first 2 seasons for him
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

I have only ever used Eskimo and rapala has augers. I find the Eskimo augers the better of the 2

Eskimo’s I have used are the stingray and mako

dont do it buy a electric the ion you will not regret it

Have an ion and it's awesome.

I’ve been interested in the ion too. The reports seem to be pretty good so far. Plus no smoke in your tent/shack if you’re on a multi-day trip
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

How is battery life on the ion? How does battery hold up in the cold?

I cut holes for a guy with an ion in 4’ of ice on cold lake couple years back, he reported it cut well enough but had to clear the snow chips in deep holes and the battery had to be kept warm in his truck, needed to be charged nightly or wouldn’t last the weekend ...his frustration was enough for me to steer clear of them, smoke in a hut is a 3 min problem until it clears.....plus the price is steep
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

on year 3 with my battery i keep the batt in a bag and in my tent whens it cold out havent had a issue

I use an ice auger everyday of the winter season and have for the last few winters. I blew up a eskimo gasser, tried another gasser, tried an ion and looked at some other electrics but not impressed. I bought a Milwaukee M18 drill driver and a quality european hand auger. This thing is versatile, light, more than powerful enough with lots of battery in a 9 amp hour battery. And you can use it year round for whatever you need.

2013 Eskimo 51 cc shark still going strong. Only burn premium gas in it. Go through a couple of tanks a year. Wait for a sale at CT.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"