Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake access

Lake access

Not sure if this has been posted but I just read that a BC judge has granted public access to Minnie and Stoney lakes
    If this is the case great news for public access to all public lakes in the province!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Lake access

Hopefully the kind people of Douglas Ranch keep stocking the lakes and keep the roads safe...Just saying

Well, I know for a fact the roads will stay safe for atleast this season, next is a whole nother question. Also this thread has been posted 3 times. Much easier to converse fluidly as a group if everything sticks to one thread, search function works great on this site.

RYO
    No need to worry about the stocking program continuity, probably now done under contract to FFSBC anyway. All publicly accessible lakes, with reasonable cause to be stocked, are stocked by FFSBC. I’m sure this would fit in their plans if public access is allowed and if Douglas Lake drops their funding of the stocking program.

Quote Originally Posted by ghunter4x4 View Post
    Hopefully the kind people of Douglas Ranch keep stocking the lakes and keep the roads safe...Just saying
    I think that they would be more concerned about the bottom line, public access means no more charging a per day rod fee on either lake.

Quote Originally Posted by PYGuy View Post
    RYO
    No need to worry about the stocking program continuity, probably now done under contract to FFSBC anyway. All publicly accessible lakes, with reasonable cause to be stocked, are stocked by FFSBC. I’m sure this would fit in their plans if public access is allowed and if Douglas Lake drops their funding of the stocking program.
    The province stopped stocking these lakes back in the 1970s because they were both subject to frequent winter-kill. I also understand that Minnie Lake winter-killed last winter. Should interesting to see if the FFSBC will take over the stocking from DLCC.
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

I fished Stoney Lake fir a week this past spring 2018 and and confirm Minnie did in fact get winter killed last winter.. so that lake it toast. Stoney on the other hand has a ton of BIG LUNKERS in there.

Edit: 1st post.. hey guys! Total newb here.. green horn hunter at 40 years old, been out chasing ghosts for the past several weekends.. nothing to shoot at but lots of fun had getting out there. Today i'm going for one last season ending day trip up Garnet Creek FSR.

Spent the day at stoney with exactly 0 fish to show for it... I could easily be using the wrong bait, fishing the wrong spot or just plain doing it wrong.. but a long drive for no fun ^^. Didn't see anyone else fishing stoney and a few people on Minnie.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Spent the day at stoney with exactly 0 fish to show for it... I could easily be using the wrong bait, fishing the wrong spot or just plain doing it wrong.. but a long drive for no fun ^^. Didn't see anyone else fishing stoney and a few people on Minnie.
    Try in May thru June, or September.
    Chironomids or leaches, mayflies or damsels.
    Don't forget using Boobys either. (need a quick sinking line and strip in quickly)
    In other words, learn the different techniques for different flies.
    Sports Fishing on the Fly just had an Episode today on tv and they were fishing DLR.
    Using Chromies.

Quote Originally Posted by campking View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted but I just read that a BC judge has granted public access to Minnie and Stoney lakes
    If this is the case great news for public access to all public lakes in the province!
    Except where the private lands surround the lake completely...
    Lakes are already owned by the Crown and therefore public, it is just getting to the lakes that do not have an easement or an access.
    FLHTCUI