Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tripods

Re: Tripods

Quote Originally Posted by wos View Post
    Wow they all seem to be around 2 lbs. I was hoping to find something a lot lighter than that. Perhaps my expectations were to high.
    I have an entry level manfrotto I bought on amazon for $85 and it is under 2lbs and trust me, you dont want it under 2lbs. My spotter is only a 65mm

It's just not stable enough. Adjusting at max mag is very difficult as the whole.thing will move a little. And even the slightest wind will make the picture vibrate.

I purchased an amazon basics "carbon" one for like $100 and it is way better. It's amazing as far as cheap tripods go. It's also about 2lbs but still suffers from a little shake in high winds.

Definitely do not attempt to go under 2lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by zippermouth View Post
    mine has a hook on it in the middle, pretty sure this if for hanging weight off of if it is unstable. be pretty easy to hang a rock or something equivalent to make it steady.
    Yeah I forgot I've seen that before where they had a bag you could fill up with rocks and hang from it awesome idea
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

I use the Vanguard Pro T 40 tripod ..Its for sale for $ 155.00...It weighs about 2 lbs ...Very stable tripod ..Love It ..Well made ...Won't break like some lightly constructed ones ...Dennis It extends to 42 inches..

Not sure where you are located, but if you are in the Central Okanagan, I have a Vortex SS you can try. It is great for a nice easy and quick setup, but the 65 mm scope I have on top is a bit heavy for it. You have to aim above the target and then lock the head. when you let go, it drops down to your desired field of view. Not ideal. I am definitely looking to improve my setup as well.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

What are you guys hunting and how far are you looking? I hunt the EK deer and elk,never saw the need for a spotting scope or a shooting rest. All my shots are within 250 yards, most half that or less. I got a spotting scope for Christmas a while back, re-gifted it. By the time I got it set up the critter was moving. Pain in the ass.I don`t spot game 2 drainages away so I don`t ever use one.Or a shooting stick(that I also got for Christmas) Pain in the ass packing more stupid things when I`m walking. Anybody wants one let me know. Its gathering dust and it`s free. Too much store bought hunting aids.
    Me, 2 sharp knives, a well sighted rifle and a first aid kit.And a clean bag for the heart and liver.
    Oh, P.S. I don`t wear camo either. Critters are colour blind. CarHart works just fine and I don`t look stupid camo`d to the nuts if I have to go in a store. You know who you are. Lose the Face paint too, that`s just creepy.
    Last edited by sawmill; 12-07-2018 at 03:49 PM.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Sometimes it is nice to know if the bull elk you spot 800 yards away is actually legal.
    Heck, now it's at the point there are only 5 pts walking around and sometimes you have to consider that
    "little knob" is a legal 6th point, lol.

Hunting high alpine, it is definitely handy looking for sheep, and I can see the benefits of looking for MD with them as well.
    Never carry one when I hunt in November for MD, that's for sure.
    But, I like my camo so to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    What are you guys hunting and how far are you looking? I hunt the EK deer and elk,never saw the need for a spotting scope or a shooting rest. All my shots are within 250 yards, most half that or less. I got a spotting scope for Christmas a while back, re-gifted it. By the time I got it set up the critter was moving. Pain in the ass.I don`t spot game 2 drainages away so I don`t ever use one.Or a shooting stick(that I also got for Christmas) Pain in the ass packing more stupid things when I`m walking. Anybody wants one let me know. Its gathering dust and it`s free. Too much store bought hunting aids.
    Me, 2 sharp knives, a well sighted rifle and a first aid kit.And a clean bag for the heart and liver.
    Oh, P.S. I don`t wear camo either. Critters are colour blind. CarHart works just fine and I don`t look stupid camo`d to the nuts if I have to go in a store. You know who you are. Lose the Face paint too, that`s just creepy.
    Different strokes for different folks. I use a spotting scope for deer during 4pt season, judging good black bears worth going after and for goats. They have their place. As for cammo I agree but I feel like I look super cool so I wear cammo and even paint my face during bow season. Makes me a badass..

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    I hunt lots of alpine! Hike in get up top and let my eyes do tge walking! That actually maks it sound easy. Believe me its not. Most deer we spot are between 60yds and 2 kilometers. I want to be able to count 4 points before i start to move. My spotter is one of my most important tools. As far as shooting distance when you run out of trees and rocks to hide in thats about where you get to shoot from.

I use.my swaro 65 at 25 power and i see 70 percent of the animals in my hunting group...25 power binos on a tripod would be better....
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Quote Originally Posted by wos View Post
    I hunt lots of alpine! Hike in get up top and let my eyes do tge walking! That actually maks it sound easy. Believe me its not. Most deer we spot are between 60yds and 2 kilometers. I want to be able to count 4 points before i start to move. My spotter is one of my most important tools. As far as shooting distance when you run out of trees and rocks to hide in thats about where you get to shoot from.
    You got a point there. I kinda quit that climb the mountain thing a few years back. I really like hunting the thicker stuff near the river and creeks.Lots of big whities like that cover.And I gave up on elk 3 years ago.Ain`t that many legal bulls around anymore, specially if you don`t want to bust ass up in the hills to get a look at one. Lot of guys are figuring that out around here this year. From what I`ve heard it`s about 6-8 six point bulls per hundred cows now. 25 bulls per of any size. It should be nearer to 45 to 65. It has drastically changed since I moved here in 1999.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories