Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripods

Tripods

I recently upgraded my spotting scope and as every one knows one thing leads to another. Now i need a tripod. I want two things out of it light weight is #1 i do a lot of hiking. And 2 is obviously stability. Budget will be taken into consideration but good tools aren't cheap and i understand that.
    What do you guys recommend.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tripods

Well .... what is the budget?

Recently picked up a Vortex High Country - for $139.99 and only 2.2 lbs I am very impressed with how it handled. Recent November hunt we were glassing an area with extreme winds and there was literally no shaking what so ever.

Light and compact.

I'm sure there is way better out there but for $150 bucks, cant really go wrong IMO
    Good Old Outdoors "I was so puckered up down betweenst my butt cheeks I could have made a world class diamond that Beyonce herself couldn't even handle."

I picked up a manfrotto befree with the fluid video head earlier this year. Think I paid around 200 for it. It’s pretty compact and stable enough for my 65mm vanguard spotter. And it’s perfect for my binos. The vortex summit ss looks pretty good too.

Budget is up to 400 but would like to spend about 200.

I have a vortex summit ss with the 3 way pan head...it is a light tripod, rated to 5 lbs, I used it with a 4lb spotter and the legs work well enough, never used it with the legs fully extended so i suspect it might wobble then, quick to setup...but the pan head sucks, it was smooth out of the box but very quickly grew rough and grinds, little specks of aluminum falling out of it....so if you have a heavy spotter I wouldn't recommend it
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Something like a manfrotto or like me, a giottas.
    Not sure how light you want however.
    If you want light you will most likely give up "smoothness" type features for panning.

I bought a carbon manfroto element, ball head for sheep hunting. Works good for me. 239 I believe from London drugs. Weights 2lbs 4 oz. top of the tripod is 55 inches when it’s up all the way.
    I'm sure the wolves are not in the area to howl Kumbaya at the moon and eat granola. "Ourea"

Another vote for the vortex summit ss $200. light weight and holds my 65mm spotter very well at a seated position. Legs have multiple positions and is easy to set up. One elk season of of heavy use and multiple days birdwatching and still going strong. The panhead still performs smoothly with no grinding. I'm please with my purchase.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Better to be called tripod than bipod