Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Acid found in soil may combat CWD

Re: Acid found in soil may combat CWD

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    At this time I am not for or against baiting in BC because at this present time CWD or any other sickness for that matter is not an issue. Ethics wise could careless because personally don’t see it as a tactic that makes a real difference. Don’t use bait but know those who do regularly and only advantage I have seen is the deer stop for clearer trail cam pics. I don’t use bait because I have not seen results good enough to make it worth the extra effort

As for the excuse baiting does not increase the risk of CWD transfer not buying it either. No expert on the subject and have put little effort into becoming one. Now if my memory is correct the reason food plots are legal in some states and baiting is not is because baiting causes deer to feed in a very small area increasing the odds of passing CWD. Where food plots are large enough to not cause the same concentration of deer into a small area. Like I said no expert but I do know there is at least theories on why baiting increases the odds of CWD spreading

For those against baiting CWD is not going to reach BCs border for some time so at this time baiting is only any ethnics debate

For those defending baiting if CWD reaches BC might be wise to rethink the practice because even if there is other factors that causes deer to concentrate into areas is it worth increasing the odds of spreading CWD just so you can bait?

Either way you boys enjoy your fight because right now baiting is far from one of the big issues in BC and unless hunters wake up CWD won’t be an issue when it reaches BC because there won’t be enough ungulates for it to spread. Baiting won’t be much of an issue as hunting opportunity dwindles
    Bang on. Agree on all points. Regardless if cwd shows up bait could be banned tomorrow and I couldn't care less. It would make perfect sense to ban if cwd showed up, why take the chance period. Punched one dec. archery wt tag on a dink two point that came into bait perfectly broadside, out of 8 seasons baiting. Good for does and immature bucks, not a significant advantage for tagging mature bucks that I have seen.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    I see the ongoing trend of hunters attacking hunters continues, this time over a legal means.
    No, that is totally not fair - you can not use this to get away from discussing something.

No one is attacking you for baiting - it is obvious that you really enjoy hunting this way, and I have hunted over bait also. It is a discussion about if baiting may cause more problems with CWD.

If you can not discuss something without attacking someone for doing something legal then yes, delete the post.

But that doesn't mean you can not discuss something that is legal.
    Last edited by skibum; 12-07-2018 at 12:35 PM.

Your right, nothing wrong on discussing CWD and baiting etc.
    But when someone finger points at one individual, and posting their name, as a point of reference, it is
    understandable that one would take offence to that.
    I know I would.
    Ourea isn't the only one who uses this technique and cams etc.
    The irony was, and I saw it coming, is that the OP belongs to a game club who also has winter feeding programs,
    at least that is what I recall from a past thread.
    So, what is different about either?
    If it had been a "generalized" statement, then I think it is a fair game discussion.
    As soon as somebody finger points to one individual, especially when it is "legal" is just asking for trouble.
    Maybe even "looking for trouble"??

My only concern is that it seems some hunters want to blame other hunters for the issues that we are facing in the
    province, and that somehow the lack of game etc is do to some form of overhunting.
    I might have concerns with the FN, but I certainly don't blame them for all the problems.
    Same goes for wolves and other Preds, they are not the only problem as well.

Just confused why some members think "we are the problem"??
    Again, if those members think we are the problem, then they should sell of their equipment and join Raincoast.

Go nowhere thread.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

http://soil-biotics.com/files/7373-s...-humicacid.pdf

some info on humic and fulvic acids

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    http://soil-biotics.com/files/7373-s...-humicacid.pdf

some info on humic and fulvic acids
    Thanks -

Think it would be cool if there was a sub-forum where dudes could just post relevant wildlife research papers, central place you could grab something interesting to read.

Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    Thanks -

Think it would be cool if there was a sub-forum where dudes could just post relevant wildlife research papers, central place you could grab something interesting to read.
    This has been an excellent thread. Lots of information to keep us thinking. Undoubtably some threads will lead to a debate. I enjoy a good debate as it informs all of us of ideas on both sides we may not know. People are very quick to cry “ hunters bashing hunters” as they don’t like what they read and that seems to get a thread locked up. Well as a resident hunter we have the right and obligation to question rules, regulations, ethics and management / harvest methods. Get involved ask the hard questions even if we don’t like the answers. Hopefully some good can come out af a strong debate. BC is headed for or in crisis, it’s not gonna be rainbows and unicorns. Let’s face issues like cwd, baiting etc like we care for the best interest of B.C. not just ourselves.
    OP. Excellent thread.

What are peoples thoughts on baiting vs agriculture, grazing leases?...which presents a bigger threat to CWD introduction to BC? how was CWD first imported to farms in SK? and subsequently how is it spreading from there

I think there are 2 main points of contention with baiting, fair chase and disease/wildlife health....I think we can side step the fair chase element, or else we can open a whole other can of worms (quad restrictions, hunting with dogs, etc)...

of the small percentage of hunters that choose to bait, how does that stack up against the risks of agriculture? Ourea's photo is a great example...drive through the South Peace region any time of year, but especially during the winter for more examples....what is really going to cause a tangible impact here

I draw similarities between the baiting debate and the gun debate...the problems of the US do not necessarily apply to Canada...baiting is in the minority, so lets ban it because it could be bad...let's see how the logic applies to guns on this forum
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Hard to compare apples to oranges like that.
    As far as I’ve read about agriculture and cwd is anywhere the animals are concentrated obviously the more likely it will spread
    as baiting goes (not feeding programs to save winter weary animals) it seems to possibly be a regional problem. I live in the okanagan. And yes there are a great deal of bait sites for hunting. However the amount of baiting could vary from region to region. Is it a very effictive tool for harvest?....yes. Does it lead to moral and ethical debate?....yes. Will it help spread cwd?...likely yes. I would like to see reasons many states, Alberta and Manitoba have banned baiting. Were those decisions made with cwd as main concern or many reasons.