Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Acid found in soil may combat CWD

Re: Acid found in soil may combat CWD

The only baiting or licks I've ever found out hunting are from free range cattlemen. Salt licks throughout the summer and fall in areas the cattle like to hang out. And countless piles of alfalfa n hay littered down the fsr trying to herd them down to round em up in the fall. Always a pile of wild game tracks around these spots, especially the salt blocks. That's more potential interaction with wild game in one season of grazing than a decade of my personal hunting with bait n salt, maybe even more. So ethics aside, I know who I would be putting the pressure on to curtail such activity in the wild.

I don't know the details of cwd in other provinces but would be interesting to hear the story?
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

baiting must be much more popular in other regions I guess, I don't see it where i hunt....in 5 years only come across 2 other short term sites that weren't mine

but if baiting is such a serious risk, perhaps it would be better to let some winter weary animals die, rather than risk spreading disease around? which is the lesser evil for the long term health?

CWD was introducted to Canada by importing infected elk to SK farms and then spread to the wild in late 90's/early 2000's

certainly regulations should change once CWD is found, we are seeing that in other jurisdictions now....but right now we are discussing hypothetical what if's...it will be hunters bringing an infected carcass across the border, or agriculture industry that brings CWD to BC...IMO that's where today's prevention and discussing should be focused
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Many different baiting laws in the states, cwd seems to be the biggest concern for banning bait and salt for use of hunting. Other states flip flop back n forth, some ban bait but not salt...

https://www.lucky-buck.com/blogs/sta...ng-regulations
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I guess since there is no walk protecting BC. It’s quite possible cwd here already but hasn’t been discovered?

Quote Originally Posted by RobU View Post
    I guess since there is no walk protecting BC. It’s quite possible cwd here already but hasn’t been discovered?
    No walk?

Asteroids could hit me too I guess, anything is possible but the current head recovery program shows negative as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by RobU View Post
    Closest CWD is Alberta and I don’t believe there is even any documented case in central Alberta yet. Alberta has being doing a good job of keeping track of the spread of CWD so Odds are B.C. is still well outside the infected area.

With the time frame it has taken to spread in Alberta and the Rockies as a natural barrier in my opinion CWD is going to take a long time to reach BC. This does not mean the threat of CWD should be ignored but instead we have time to be prepared/educate ourselves before it reaches BC