Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Acid found in soil may combat CWD

Re: Acid found in soil may combat CWD

Hmmm brought mulie deer home from Alberta..no brain tissue allowed, spinal column left in Alberta also..meat was cut vacutainer sealed frozen..marked clearly....
    And not for human consumption until notified by Alberta fish and wildlife that sample tested negative

Hmmmmm
    Srupp

Better shut down all winter feeding programs being done to assist wildlife. Please notify all clubs that actively support such initiatives.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Have chatted at length with those in wildlife. I know I am informed. Not an emotional or Google based understanding.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Better shut down all winter feeding programs being done to assist wildlife. Please notify all clubs that actively support such initiatives.
    Yes the dichotomy..everyone must live with one.
    Look in the local paper, every winter there is a CO driven rant against winter feeding..for good logical reasons they claim. Property owners can be charged for feeding wildlife. Course the club members have some special anointing where bad thing don’t happen if you pay a fee and be a member..
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

That is interesting, I read awhile back that fire doesn't take CWD out of the environment. Good news that they at least have a sniff of a way to control it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Have chatted at length with those in wildlife. I know I am informed. Not an emotional or Google based understanding.
    Bait piles so you can kill a deer, not the same as trying to save a population from starvation. But carry on making it right.

• Re: urban ungulates and feeding wildlife

Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
      Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch Mailing Address: PO Box 9391 Stn Prov Govt Victoria BC V8W 9M8 Phone: (250) 387-9771 Fax: (250) 387-0239 Website: www.gov.bc.ca/nro
      WILDLIFE HEALTH FACT SHEET
      Feeding Wild Ungulates – why it isn’t the answer.
      Keep wildlife wild – it is BC policy and it makes sense. When humans provide food to wild animals it changes their "wildness", no matter what species is being fed. There are justifiable reasons to feed wild animals, such as to attract them for capture, but these situations are rare. The consequences of feeding a wild animal unnatural types and amounts of feed can range from mildly irritating behaviour to catastrophic health issues, so understanding the reasons behind this policy is important.
      The following guidance is specific to ungulates (hoofed mammals) such as deer, elk, or bighorn sheep but the principle of keeping wildlife wild apply to all wild animals.
      Background
      Opportunities to come close to wild ungulates are rare but rewarding, especially when the animals are unaware of the humans. Habituation, or increased animal tolerance for close contact with humans, occurs when animals are fed, and with this comes unplanned consequences. Some of the consequences include:
      1. Feed Effects
      Wild ungulates have specialized seasonal food requirements, which they fulfill by eating a wide variety of foods from their environment. Well-intentioned people may quite literally be "killing with kindness" when they provide unnatural food items to wild ungulates.
      All ungulates are ruminants with specific bacteria in their digestive tracts, specialized to digest their specific diet. It can take weeks for ungulate digestive systems to adjust to new food items. Rapid changes, especially at critical times such as the fall, can result in death, even with rumens full of (unnatural) food.
       Dry feeds, such as hay, grains or pelleted types, are prepared for domestic livestock and meant to be used with abundant fresh water. Without ready access to water, dry feed can impact in the digestive tract and can kill wild ungulates.
       Grains, pelleted feeds or surplus fruits are high in carbohydrates/protein/energy and even small amounts can cause digestive upsets that lead to diarrhea, bloating and significant damage to ungulate digestive tracts.
      2. Population Effects Wild ungulate populations are naturally limited by a number of factors, including the amount and quality of food their habitat supplies. Animals in poor body condition or with high nutritional needs, such as the young may die when natural environmental conditions and appropriate foods are not present in the right amount and quality to sustain them.
      Feeding of wild ungulates by humans increases animal density in the short term by concentrating animals around the feed source. Density increases may also occur over time if the feeding results in
      - 2 -
      improved body condition or more frequent reproduction. Increased density results in increased competition for natural resources with other animals that share that range. Other consequences of increased animal density include:
      Increased risk of infectious diseases:
      o Disease transmission and outbreaks – animals in close and frequent contact with others transmit organisms more easily than when at lower density. There are many examples across North America where high ungulate density contributes to disease issues, e.g. pneumonia in wild sheep, tuberculosis, brucellosis and chronic wasting disease.
      o Higher stress on individual animals. Stress can lead to reduced immune function, making these animals more susceptible to infections.
      o In BC, viral papillomas (warts) in deer appear to be increasing in urban areas where deer numbers are unnaturally high.
      Poor body condition – animals may not grow or gain weight due to reduced feed quality or quantity.
      Increased conflicts with humans:
      o Increased habituation. Animals that learn to take human supplied feed become habituated, losing their natural wariness of humans. Habituated ungulates can be aggressive towards humans and their pets – especially during the spring when protecting the young fawns or in the fall during the breeding season.
      o Increased motor vehicle collisions causing injuries or death of humans and wildlife.
      Increased mortality from wild predators and humans – when animals are concentrated and much easier to find.
      Other major ecological effects from ungulate feeding are documented across North America and include:
      o Disruption of normal wild animal movement patterns and spatial distribution
      o Alteration of native plant community structure with reduced diversity and abundance
      o Introduction and/or expansion of invasive exotic plant species
      o General degradation of local habitat

http://www.peachlandsportsmens.ca/
      http://bcwf.net/index.php
      http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
      My Mind to my Work.......
      But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

• 01-28-2013, 04:13 PM
      Stone Sheep Steve
      KD Eatin Dink Hunter

Join DateMar 2006LocationRegion 8Posts12,639

Re: urban ungulates and feeding wildlife

Alternatives to Feeding ***Better ways to help wild ungulates***
      Wild ungulates benefit when we preserve and restore natural habitats and reduce human-caused disturbances, leaving them alone to conserve their energy to survive severe winter conditions.
       The best way to help wild ungulates survive in severe weather is to maintain high-quality habitat year-round. If animals enter the winter in good condition, most survive persistent deep snow and cold temperatures. Even in well-functioning natural ecosystems, however, some animals succumb during winter months. This is natural, winter mortality helps keep ungulates populations in balance with the available habitat.
       Another way to help wild ungulates in winter is to avoid disturbing them. Animals must conserve their energy to survive in winter conditions. Human-related causes of disturbance such as from recreation (e.g. snowmobile activity) and chasing by domestic dogs can result in wild ungulates expending valuable energy.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Nice work horshur!

Post whatever bs you want, an ice cream pail or armful of why here n there doesn't hurt FA. Those that have done it know. Deer are not stupid, if they're not accustomed to the feed they just don't sit there gorging themselves. Quick nibble and move along. Others that are accustomed to it will pig out a bit more. Almost a decade of watching this go on the deer are just fine, pumping out twins like crazy every spring. Turned 7 deer into 15 full timers plus a pile of bucks that have got the boot by the does. Most will return end of year to put some fat on before winter and disappear again. Deer know where they are safe, they're not stupid. Them bucks are definitely not habituated as they are still alive eluding the swaths of hunters year after year.

Got a buck that came back this fall that was born in 2013, survived a bullet wound in the neck (not me HA) 2014 as a fork horn and the local does nursed him back to health. Now he's a mature 5x5 but has earned a pass with me and continues to survive. Bullets can't kill em and you're worried about a little food supplement? Fak outta here with that bullshit. WT are insanely adaptable.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

You’re cute