Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Good start to winter for ungulates..?

Re: Good start to winter for ungulates..?

I'm seeing a lot of fawns and calves on my trail cams. A mule deer doe with a fawn and a WT doe with two fawns. Also have two twin spikes from last years crop and then two other spikes that were likely born in 2017. There is also a nice 5 point hanging out with the main herd which makes me believe he's relatively young too. There is black bear boar who is a big bugger. He is on my to do list for September.

It's great to see a solid amount of fawn/calves and 1/2 year animals making it. Hopefully you are seeing similar results.

Fantastic conditions for ungulates this Summer in the Southern Interior anyway. Vegetation is still lush and water everywhere. Should be some nice bucks around in the Fall in areas where wolves aren't too thick.

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Give the link a read. It is not about deer but it diagrams population cycles. There are a few profound statements to ponder some that even contradict the conclusions. It is a ten minute read.
    all good stuff thanks for that......some of that information should be known to anyone with any experience in animal population cycles. the ideas of pred/prey balance being a static situation are well demonstrated to be a fallacy. I was also interested to read this bit

For mammalian predators in winter, we used snow tracking to monitor density changes and kill rates of lynx and coyotes. All hare predators showed strong numerical changes that lagged behind the hare cycle 1–2 years (Boutin et al. 1995). In addition, both lynx and coyotes killed more hares per day in the peak and decline phases than during the increase. These kill rates were well above previous estimates and well in excess of energy demands. Surplus killing seems to be a characteristic feature of these predators

Uploaded some trail cam footage to YouTube. Have never uploaded this sort of thing so I wouldn't mind if someone tried the link and let me know that it worked...Thank you.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuG...view_as=public

worked for me....love those spotty critters.....is mommas left rear foot injured?

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    worked for me....love those spotty critters.....is mommas left rear foot injured?
    Great. Thank you.

Yes. I think she is favouring it.

The bear in the first video also had a big limp about a month ago. In the video I posted she is the colour phased bear. In that video you can see the big boar in the forest top left of the screen. He is hot on her tail.
    Wondering if he hurt her while mounting her or trying to get her to 'give it up'.