Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Baiting wildlife Issue

guest Guest

Re: Baiting wildlife Issue

While some call baiting primarily for WTail unethical..... In the mean time ....all over the Province thousands of hunters sit in wait, work fence lines, hunt transition areas from the largest bait piles in the Province. Be it Christain Valley hay, Osoyoos to Greenwood orchards to Peace country Wheat to Pempertons spuds.... Above ranches, farms, gardens. While hiding high in trees or god forbid a ground camo blind. But thats ethical.

What ever. Again another thread of hunters attacking others hunters. Great just what we need.

As said CWD orriginated from Ungulate huge farms for Elk and Deer.

Doesn't matter where it originated CWD is out there in wild populations now and once there is for all practical purposes impossible to eradicate. My understanding is its in Alberta and to the south of us and spread in saliva. Lots in the news about it in Quebec and wildlife managers and hunters are very concerned. I don't see it as hunter against hunter but a conversation about staying ahead of CWD. I also agree that bait because it draws ungulates will also draw preds. Both want an easy meal.

I don't set out bait for any game, never have, never will.
    Where it is legal, then have at it.
    The last thing we need is hunters attacking other hunters legal methods.

Quote Originally Posted by 40incher View Post
    Baiting is disgusting. Don't take any pride in killing a wild buck in a pile of bait!!

Get out there and really hunt ... don't degrade the hunting tradition.

Let's show some respect for what "hunting" really is.
    Then never shoot a deer in Alberta off an agricultural field...
    In the Christian valley on private land.
    On the Island in farmland.
    Shut down the mid western US where most B and C WT are killed then.
    They are hunting over a massive food source.

Never hunt a prime cut block

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

As others have said there is just as much, if not more risk due to abundance, of deer transmitting this when feeding in gardens and orchards and hayfields and Alf Alfa fields and what not. A couple thousand salt licks or bait piles is a drop of rain in the ocean compared to the millions of acres of gardens, orchards, and crops. I have seen an entire herd of elk or deer eating off a single bail of hay. What you gonna do about all the other places deer like to group up? Ban all gardens and crops? 20’ high fences around everything? Who is gonna pay for all that? Give your head a shake. Maybe we’d be better off putting time, money, and effort into researching a vaccine or something to eradicate it.

I have killed some giants in my day in some of the shittiest back country holes over the years.
    Years of cutting trail, hours and hours of hiking and glassing.

I have won more than I have lost.

WT... different story.
    I am pretty good at what I do and these *******s school me.
    Unethical ....
    Pack in numerous 70lb bails of hay on ur back.
    Apples and oats that cost $$$

Sit on that for days and never see a deer

Listen to those that say .....oh my how unethical ....nonesense

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
    I don't set out bait for any game, never have, never will.
    Where it is legal, then have at it.
    Fully agree!

It's only a matter of time before John with Andy's support enacts the FAIR CHASE ACT making baiting & road hunting illegal.
    You ain't seen nothing yet if the PR is approved re: hunting changes & gun restrictions!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

In 58 years I only know of 1 person baiting wildlife to shoot it. That was a bear in northern Alberta.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Against baiting deer now because of the movement of CWD into the west. It will be make it here, just a matter of time.

CWD has become a major problem in the eastern states - they have put the money into researching it, and are starting to ban baiting because of it.

Putting some time into researching it, I think would change most people minds that it is not worth it.

I did bait deer in the past, but don't feel the cost/benefit is positive anymore. But I am not a trophy WT hunter , so take it with a grain of salt

Quote Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
    Too many guys use this to shut down conversation, you can discuss it, without attacking someone or feeling you are being attacked.