Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Few Firsts This Season

A Few Firsts This Season

This was a really great season for my son and I, with a total of three firsts for us ! I posted back in September that my 11yr old son shot his first blacktail. It wasn't his first deer that was last season, a fork muley in Region 3 on a trip that another member(Tomahawk) and his grandson took us on. That trip last season for me was the first time hunting off the Island, my son was the only one to get a deer that trip so before this season, I myself had never shot anything off the Island.

So this season, after hunting locally in September we went back to Region 3 for the first week of any buck. Things happened very quickly and on the first day on our first walk, not more than 2 minutes from the truck I shot a nice 2pt, my first muley ever !!! We had a great trip and our group also got a second muley that trip as well. Then later in October I had a second trip planned for just my son and I to an area in Region 8 for whitetails. Our first day luck held for that trip as well and in a repeat of our previous trip I shot a 3x3 whitetail in the first hour of the first day...my first whitetail !!! That wasn't the only buck we saw that trip but unfortunately my son missed his shot at a second decent whitetail buck the next day and then to add insult to injury he scoped himself in the nose ! He took it well and I take the blame because I bought him a new rifle this year and I knew he wasn't comfortable enough with it, just didn't give him enough range time. We still had an incredible trip though, didn't see a lot of deer all together but on the last day I told my son he could take a doe if he wanted, but when the opportunity came he opted for a picture instead as there was a fawn in the tree line...very proud of him !

All in all a great season for us and we are already counting the days till spring bear !

My sons first blacktail from back in September

My Muley from Region 3

My whitetail buck and the picture of the does, you can see the fawn in the sunlight just inside the tree line.

Last edited by Islander30; 12-03-2018 at 10:12 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: A Few Firsts This Season

Great pictures. Getting out with your son.....priceless!!

Great stuff, love seeing the youngsters out killin shit!
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Cool photos, the family resemblance is awesome.

Here's to many more seasons of family hunts for you and your son!
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Cool photos, the family resemblance is awesome.

Here's to many more seasons of family hunts for you and your son!
    Thanks, it usually my daughter that everyone says looks like me.....poor kid ! lol !

Great job. Nice to see some pictures as well.

Great season for sure, great job getting your son out for success as well...

Quote Originally Posted by wos View Post
    Great job. Nice to see some pictures as well.
    Thanks Steven, would love to see some of your pictures...did you figure it out yet ? I load them into the gallery first then open a second page then cut and paste them into my thread

So many firsts for you guys, great stuff and good eats. Your daughter looks so much like you for sure!!
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

Congrats to you and your boy. Sounds like you had a great season. Thanks for sharing