Thread: 6 mm Remington 788

6 mm Remington 788

I have a LH Remington 788 6mm and wondering if it is worth recalibrating to 6mm creemoor
    and if so what would be involved. The gun is very accurate as it is. The reason for considering
    this as I have aged my shoulders have become toast and 300wm hurts like hell but still want
    a moose gun. Comments please and any other suggestions. Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 6 mm Remington 788

I wouldn’t change it, they’re great guns. What about a break on the 300? If I were to chase moose with a 6 I would go with Barnes ttsx or maybe a heavy partion and wait for the perfect broadside lung shot. My bits.

I would venture it would be cheaper and much easier to put a brake on. I put one on a 300wsm, it made a big difference. I compare it to shooting my .308 now. It cost me $350

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

The barrel would have to be removed/rechambered and set back as needed, I have a 6mm CM built on a Win 70 CRF action, very pleasant to shoot,

as others have said you can have a brake installed an your 300, they reduce recoil amazingly well, price would be roughly the same for either job, check with GEF on HBC as he has a 6mm CM reamer.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Rechambering wouldn't be a good idea since the 6mm Creedmoor ammo on the market is designed for 8 twist or faster barrels and yours is a 1:9 or slower

Better investment would be to sell the 788 as is and buy a 6.5 Creed or 7-08, or rebarrel 788 to either of these. If your shoulders are truly toast then maybe a brake on the smaller cartridges, wear ear pro when taking the shot
    Last edited by todbartell; 12-03-2018 at 09:43 AM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Buy a 300 win mag in a rifle with a Bavarian stock. They render recoil so they are much easier to shoot. Mine is a CZ 550 Med with a Bavarian. I can shoot many more rounds from it than I could with the same offerings I had in Ruger 77, BSA CF2 Monarch and a custom P17 build. My shoulders were much younger, but the memory of recoil from those three lingers on, particularly the Ruger. The BSA was okay but nowhere near the current CZ.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Have gunsmith chamber it to 6mm Ackley. I have one and its the hammer of Thor on deer, coyotes, wolves, etc.

Thanks you for all the input, I do like the idea of rebarreling to 6.5 creedmoor. Suggestions and contact number
    for a gunsmith in the upper Fraser valley would be appreciated. Thanks

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004