Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carp fishing

Re: Carp fishing

I use to do this when I was a kid in Southern Ontario. So much fun, we would sight fish them with egg or crayfish patterns
    KCCO

How do you like the rod?
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

I’ll try and answer most of the questions here
    tenkara is a Japanese old school fly fishing style. It’s one 13’ rod with no eyes and no reel just a cork handle. I also have 6 lines ranging from 10-16’ floating and sinking I can interchange in seconds depending on the situation. It is an entirely sight fishing based fishing for me so I’m on the move a lot covering up to 15km a day when I’m on the hunt for carp.

I’m going to try and not ruffle any of you trout and salmon bums feathers by saying some of the stuff here haha
    fly selection is very much like trout fishing. Carp can be incredibly picky and will test you in every way when it comes to casting, and presenting the fly to them, I’ll often go hours casting to them with not even a look.

Fly selection during the spring I have found best patterned are sculpins and any other large pattern. Crayfish and such. Whatever is biggest and lives on the bottom where you are fishing.

During the summer they hit a huge range of flies. Leeches are by far the most productive for me. And any 1” long bugger type patterns work well most of the time

it comes down to exactly what trout fishing comes down to matching the hatch and really reading the fish as they are actually very smart and difficult to catch at times.
    i can easily say they are one of the hardest fighting fish out there and will give you a serious run for your money. Make sure your gear is ready to go and you backing is well, you need a lot of you hook into a 20# fish. But I do manage without on the big stick. It comes down to technique with the tenkara rod. You can’t stop a carp but you can control one. Controlling the bursts of power is the most important thing.

I have bow fished them before but let’s be honest here. It’s not the most sporting thing out there haha. Not against it. I do it. It’s a blast shooting fish. I just think catching huge fish in the fly is next level stuff especially when it’s sights fishing in the okanagan in the heat of the summer and you are on non stop action. Easily catching 50-100# of fish a day if you really wanted to

as a personal project I’m working on nailing down the carp scene in BC. Would like to make a nice video next summer showing all the locations and seasons and the availability of an outstanding GAME fish that’s available to everyone.

Carp are are pretty much here to stay so let’s obviously not introduce them everywhere. But where they are let’s fish them hard

as a second note. Has anyone caught or seen mirror carp anywhere. I’ve caught the one and located a few more for next summer. They are Goal fish always, there’s tons of commons but the linears and mirrors are the special ones
    Last edited by Steelpulse; 12-03-2018 at 12:43 AM.

And you consume them? Favorite recipe?
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I have not eaten one in years. Doing most fishing down in the lml not the cleanest water I’d say in some of the spots I’m nailing them haha. I would not hesitate to eat an okanagan. Skaha. Christina lake etc nicer water. Carp are very much a product of the water they live in.
    Firm white harder flaking fish. Have smoked some from the Great Lakes when I lived in Ontario and they are great. Brine and hot smoke for a few hours. Pretty damn good

Carp in the lml has the main spots like deer lake. Burnaby lake and lafarge. All city spots basically and All hold fish and some good fish. Lafarge only a few. But has some nice ones. As far as where else to find them down here. I find new spots every day. It’s hard to say where exactly because they are very much found in pockets and you hve to do a lot of leg work to find good numbers. I have done the work and I have found them. I won’t share my hot spots of course, I’m like any other hardcore fisherman I don’t give that up easy. But no joke if you see a city park, swamp, drain hole it could hold a carp or koi. Give a look next time your passing by you’d be surprised where a 30” carp can chill out for a while. They can live in absolute trash water. But a lot of the main rivers have side channels and sloughs that can hold fish. Just up to you to find them

Quote Originally Posted by howa1500 View Post
    I want to know more, that looks like a blast, where does one find decent carp fishing in the LML? Pitt polder? sloughs off the fraser/vedder?
    Last edited by Steelpulse; 12-03-2018 at 03:26 AM.

First of all, if you don't think bow-fishing for carp is not sporting, you should see me try it! lol. The carp are WAY ahead of me on the score board. Having said that, once I figure out the depth that they are at, and hit the first one, it's a bit easier. They can be anywhere from 2' to 8' down so figuring where to aim is tricky for me.
    My wife and I tried the meat this past summer and it's not bad at all but all those little bones make eating it tedious so I canned it all for my dog. There is a pile of meat on these fish. If it were one of our few sources of protein I would eat it but we have lots easier stuff available.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Great pics Steelpulse. I grew up carp fishing as a kid in Ontario as well. Lots of fun and very challenging for sure.
    Are you releasing most of these carp? I would be killing everyone of these fish that you catch. Especially in any salmon bearing waters. They are invasive species. Probably not a popular opinion but absolutely the right thing to do. I'm not trying to stir the pot or tell you what to do, just what I would do.

They look a bit like a bonefish, but uglier. I bet they are a ton of fun on a fly rod.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Similar bones to a Pike ?

Iirc Amphibious on here is a carp slayer, though his technique is different
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole