Quote Originally Posted by lovemywinchester View Post
Great pics Steelpulse. I grew up carp fishing as a kid in Ontario as well. Lots of fun and very challenging for sure.
Are you releasing most of these carp? I would be killing everyone of these fish that you catch. Especially in any salmon bearing waters. They are invasive species. Probably not a popular opinion but absolutely the right thing to do. I'm not trying to stir the pot or tell you what to do, just what I would do.
When the females can lay over a million eggs per year and they will eat anything and survive pretty much anywhere, they are a huge threat to any other native or non-native species. At Christina Lake there is a group of divers hired by the regional district to pull invasive weeds from the lake and talking to them and fisheries biologists and local residents, the carp population is increasing and the bass (also non-native), rainbow, and kokanee populations are decreasing. I have seen violent carp activity around duck hens with ducklings and noticed one hen go from 9 ducklings to 5 ducklings the next day and to one a couple of days later. I did not see the carp actually take the ducklings and there are numerous eagles about but I suspect if they're small enough, the carp would take them.
The young (and old) lads at our campground actively hunt them and kill as many as possible.