Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LiteOutdoors Plateau 5 Man

Re: LiteOutdoors Plateau 5 Man

Bumping this thread as I'm in the same place as several of the other posters.

I've been thinking of a SO Cimarron or Redcliffe, or maybe a Kifaru Sawtooth and ended up on the LiteOutdoors site for their stove. Now wondering how their Tipi shelter is.

Any additional reviews/comments?
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I bought one this fall and tested it out while looking for Whitetail in mid-November. The temps hit -22 and I was reasonably comfortable. We fit 4 of us in there, yes 4. And stove. But we weren't backpacking so the truck was there to store gear in. It's roomy, well designed zippers and ventilation, very easy and quick to setup. The condensation was a problem, 4 guys in there definitely contributed to that but there was a good layer of ice/water on the inside of the tent the whole time.

I had a few "pops" one night and walked into the guyline in the dark and it completely ripped the seam and loop right out of the tent. I sent a photo to Brennan and he got back to me within 12 hours stating that it was a defect (sewed improperly) and that week I had a new tent at my door, free of charge. Best customer service I've experienced hands down.

A few tips I picked up from that initial test run for the stove and tent are:

1. don't cramp 4 guys into it with stove (probably a no brainer for most but we were keen) although it is roomier than you think as we made it work with minimal cuddling
    2. sleep further away or stow gear away from the sides of the tent to reduce build up of condensation and avoid lifting the snow skirt
    3. as for the stove, empty the ashes EVERY day. It fills up deceivingly fast and then severely limits burn time/amount of wood you can put in. It's titanium and light and thin.... you'll be waking up often in the night if it's cold out.

The quality seems good and the material is hearty, it's exceptionally light (bulky though as someone had mentioned prior), Canadian company with true local-style customer service and one of the most affordable out there.

In 9 days I'll be on a winter goat hunt to truly put it to the test and will update after that.

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Bumping this thread as I'm in the same place as several of the other posters.

I've been thinking of a SO Cimarron or Redcliffe, or maybe a Kifaru Sawtooth and ended up on the LiteOutdoors site for their stove. Now wondering how their Tipi shelter is.

Any additional reviews/comments?
    Might be a bit late by then but I'll report back some time in April with a full review once I've actually put it to the test a bit...have a nest on route for my son (he's not a fan of ticks for some weird reason) so I may set it up at work to see how things fit when it shows up, if I do I'll take some photos. I feel like I've 100% negated the bulk issue at this point, the way I pack it now I can get my tipi, sleeping bag and pad packed smaller than the sawtooth alone. Not to say the Sawtooth couldn't potentially pack down to a similar size when packed the same way but I honestly withdraw any complaints I had regarding bulk just took a bit of playing around to get a good system going. I'm excited to get this thing out on the mountain!

Quote Originally Posted by JSaw View Post

In 9 days I'll be on a winter goat hunt to truly put it to the test and will update after that.

Let us know how it goes with both the tent and the goats!
    "You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by JSaw View Post

How did it go?

Finally got a chance to get out, put the shelter to the test and take some photos. Didn't have very extreme conditions to test it in but had some decent winds and low enough temps. Shelter did great in the wind and it was below zero outside but 30+ degrees inside the tent. Shelter is an outright palace for one, plenty of room for me plus my son and our backpacking gear and we could probably squeeze one more dude in with no issues. Condensation was pretty brutal in the morning but no worse than any other floorless shelter I've used and I didn't have very dry ground to set it up on. All in all very pleased with it, it's my first "hot tent" so take my initial impression with that in mind but I would definitely recommend it based on my limited experience so far, hopefully it continues to shine in the long run!

"You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Thanks for the info, those are some great photos! Looks like a great setup.

Interested in this tent but wondering why go with the round titanium over flat top? With flat top, you could double as a back up cooking surface or boil water on to save fuel or do the titanium flat tops like the seek outside ones not work well for cooking/boiling?

Does anyone have experience with condensation and packability with the SO cimmaron and redcliff?

I have a Cimmarron, I run it with a liner and it’s great. I have it set up with lightweight guyouts and tensioner. Perfect for two guys, set up is super easy and fast. If you don’t run a liner you will need a bivy sack if you don’t want condensation on your bag.

I also run a Kifaru 6man for 3-4 guys.
    I have the lite outdoors stove and a wild Wild West stove.
    The lite outdoors is sturdy enough to cook on you just put your pot on the rods that hold it together. That stove is very functional and light.

IMO The 3 w stove is the best on the market as indicated by the wait time and the price. The lite outdoors won’t get used much as I prefer the 3w. I am considering selling the LO stove.

Let’s bump this thread up and see what happens. Any reviews on the 4 man?
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrax View Post
    Interested in this tent but wondering why go with the round titanium over flat top? With flat top, you could double as a back up cooking surface or boil water on to save fuel or do the titanium flat tops like the seek outside ones not work well for cooking/boiling?

Does anyone have experience with condensation and packability with the SO cimmaron and redcliff?
    The round top stove is available in Canada and is quite cheap is the only advantage to it. The flat top stoves are certainly more versatile and easier to set up!

Bumping this thread rather then starting a new one. Like many I am interested in these shelters as they are similar to the Seek outside products and made in Canada!!. For the guys that have some experience with them any comments on durability, pros, cons, lessons learned, would you buy another one or go with something different??

Cheers