Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Change in philosophy and a change in tactics

Re: Change in philosophy and a change in tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Greenthumbed View Post
    I personally don't think that the hunter and conservationist come hand in hand. I think an individual can be both and many of us hunters are conservationists, but it is definitely not a given. Not by a long shot.
    So ask yourself. Why is it then a significant percentage of regular ole voters see one certain class of people as being exactly that?
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

I think that we are in the "what's in it for me generation".
    In the 50s, 60s, and 70s, the clubs that make up the BCWF were active in habitat restoration , stream rehab, top railing fences etc. Correct me if I am wrong but my perception is that there is much less of these activities. Most members just want access to the cub range, pay my dues and don't bother me.
    Find a solution to lack of engagement and you improve the relevance of the BCWF.
    JMHO, 1970s member and club delegate, now in Saskabush.

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    So ask yourself. Why is it then a significant percentage of regular ole voters see one certain class of people as being exactly that?
    Sorry, I'm not sure exactly what I am supposed to ask myself.
    What is see is a significant percentage of hunters being just that "hunters". I'm not saying that's a bad thing, necessarily, but if one wants to make a positive difference you have to do more. You do have to make a conscious effort to be a hunter/conservationist. It doesn't come with just buying a tag.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Quote Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
    I think that we are in the "what's in it for me generation".
    In the 50s, 60s, and 70s, the clubs that make up the BCWF were active in habitat restoration , stream rehab, top railing fences etc. Correct me if I am wrong but my perception is that there is much less of these activities. Most members just want access to the cub range, pay my dues and don't bother me.
    Find a solution to lack of engagement and you improve the relevance of the BCWF.
    JMHO, 1970s member and club delegate, now in Saskabush.
    I think you are exactly right!
    This is what I am trying to get at. A true conservationist does not hold his hand out and ask "what in it for me?" It must be a selfless act.
    Last edited by Greenthumbed; 12-16-2018 at 05:27 PM.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

I think you are exactly right!
    This is what I am trying to get at. A true conservationist does not hold his hand out and ask "what in it for me?" It must be a selfless act.
    You do realize there are many who are involved outside the BCWF and many who stepped away right

This is not just a case of a generation issue. Which I find funny to assume it’s a generation issue when you see all the changes that have been fought for in the name of PC lol

Could it be that the issue is you don’t have leadership troops are willing to follow? Could it also be a lack of trust?

There are clubs out there that do great work! SCWA in Prince George is a shining example.

Just buying a years membership at the local rod & gun and being affiliated with the BCWF isn’t enough.

Cleaning up your local parking spots and bush ranges is a great start. Take pictures before and after, and put it on social media. Instead of pointing fingers, let’s get a higher level of pride in being a hunter, shooter and outdoorsman.

Let it be known that slobs aren’t wanted in the bush. What I see dumped in the bush is stupid. It would cost less money to drive to the transfer station and pay a starting fee of $6.00 for the first 100 kg.

It’s a start. Sorry if it’s off track, but that’s what a little guy like me feels where I can get a positive spin on hunting and shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    There are clubs out there that do great work! SCWA in Prince George is a shining example.

Just buying a years membership at the local rod & gun and being affiliated with the BCWF isn’t enough.

Cleaning up your local parking spots and bush ranges is a great start. Take pictures before and after, and put it on social media. Instead of pointing fingers, let’s get a higher level of pride in being a hunter, shooter and outdoorsman.

Let it be known that slobs aren’t wanted in the bush. What I see dumped in the bush is stupid. It would cost less money to drive to the transfer station and pay a starting fee of $6.00 for the first 100 kg.

It’s a start. Sorry if it’s off track, but that’s what a little guy like me feels where I can get a positive spin on hunting and shooting.
    Completely respect your choice and being a good example is valuable to the hunting community. Take the time to pass it on and teach them to do the same it will go a long ways

I do agree that any cause needs good leadership.
    I also agree that leaders must have the trust of their troops. Why though, is there a lack of trust? Is it a fear of change in philosophy?
    Just a question to continue this discussion.

I do agree that any cause needs good leadership.
    I also agree that leaders must have the trust of their troops. Why though, is there a lack of trust? Is it a fear of change in philosophy?
    Just a question to continue this discussion.
    3 major issues

1) there is a long history of mistakes that created division among the different groups of BC hunters under the BCWF banner is a huge strike 1

2) Many had the misconception that BCWF was a hunting organization that stood to defend hunters rights first and for most, We have now reached a time that is needed and they see that is not the case

3) A lot of hunters do not trust those at the helm and the path they are taking

I don’t think you will be able to rally the troops under the BCWF banner for these reasons and many more. Secondly I would say BCWF is biting off more then they can chew trying to represent too many groups and BC hunters need a strictly hunting organization that adresses hunters first and for most

Outside of that a good starting point is start asking hunters what path should be taken instead of telling them what they should be doing. Listening to those you are trying to represent makes gaining support is easier.

Personally I would say it’s too late

I agree that hunters need a organization representing hunters, but don't they also need a conservation organization representing wildlife? Without wildlife there is no hunting. We all realize that. Whether a hunter supports BCWF or not, it is in there best interest to get interested and involved in conservation activism.