Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How important is first light...?

How important is first light...?

Looks like I'm not going to be able to hit my hunting spot until after I drop off my child at school, so will not be able to be at my spot until 1 - 1.5 hours after first light. How badly does this affect chances? I was hoping to be able to get to my spot 30 min before light to slowly get set up.

Do chances diminish significantly?

I have a young tree clearing about 100 yards or so from a forest road, lots of deer sign. I'm hoping the WT rut is going to bring in a wandering buck, bought a grunt reed today. I plan on sitting at either a knoll with 360 views and grunt, or I can try a little up the hill along the treeline, sit and grunt. I basically have until 2pm, so 8:45 to 2pm - worth doing?

I don't expect to bag my first buck, but it's the WT rut, there's lots of sign, and I can take the day off within those times - so willing (and rearing) to give it a shot, but how realistic are my chances going so late after sunrise?

I'm thankful for all of the advice I am receiving, and trying to implement as best I can.

Thanks!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How important is first light...?

In my opinion first light is fairly important, especially if you are missing last light. First light until around 9:30AM or so seems to be the magic hour, but that said, anything can happen at anytime especially if there is rutting activity. You might try a little calling too... perhaps a light rattle or a grunt.

Your odds are infinitely better if you are in the bush vs staying home though, so get out there every chance you get!!

First light is definitely prime time and success rate is probably highest, but don't let that stop you going out later in the day. I have shot a lot of deer between 10:00 and noon over the years and if the rut is still on then bucks will be moving at all times of the day. You may not see or take a buck, but if you are not in the woods you have zero chance.

Out of my last 5 successful hunts...

3 were 10:30am or later.
    2 were within an hour of first light.

Does it help? Yup. But the best thing you can do is be out there when you can.

Seems for me, most MD are taken from about 8:00 til 9:30 am. (also from others with success in the area)
    Quite often will also see them at first light.
    Have taken them at 3:30pm also.
    Odd time just before dark, but rank it the lowest time for me (might be where I am at that point in my hunt?!)

In other words, just hunt, and even if sign is low, just try and remind yourself to stay positive.
    Missed a great opportunity at a 30" spread buck after walking slowly all day and not seeing a track, only to get careless and "blow it".
    Buck had come up from a steep area, and I ran into him in his first few steps onto that hill.
    That's how quick it can change.
    That's hunting.
    I hunt all day.

In my experience last light has been waaaaaaaaay more important

Awesome! OK, I'm pumped! Thanks all!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

I usually have more luck mid day. Like after 10:30

I think you will find differences from hunter to hunter based on "how you hunt".
    Meaning, some guys hike "up".
    Some Hike "sideways".
    Some Stay "high" and some hang "low", waiting and watching.
    Some guys move all day, up and down, right and left.
    Some folks just drive and drive.
    Thus the differences I suspect in opinion.

Good point Bugle M In. Over 25yrs of hunting I can count on one hand Muleys taken before 8:00 and none after 4:00.
    Joshbazz I just did a 3 day WT hunt and for two days I sat. I had deer moving throughout the day. Unfortunately all out of my sight lines but it was not my set up. Like everyone else says, get out there and work with what you have. They will not come to your front door. My two cents. Good luck