Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How important is first light...?

Re: How important is first light...?

Not very important this time of year. We got our buck at around 830 am. Deer are on the move all day this time of year. Most deer I've shot has probably been between 930 and 1130 as opposed to the first hour of daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    man your getting out on a week day be happy...whitetails have still been in bed at 8 this week..many bucks moving get out there dream big racks tonight
    This is great news, will be definitely dreaming of WT Racks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Not very important this time of year. We got our buck at around 830 am. Deer are on the move all day this time of year. Most deer I've shot has probably been between 930 and 1130 as opposed to the first hour of daylight.
    Great news indeed!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

my experience is first light best for mulies and last light best for whitetail.....shot quite a few nooner bucks of both though!
    SHIT HAPPENS! Usually when the big one decides to show himself!

and i think a lot of it is how you hunt. deer are in different areas in the early moring and at dusk then at noon......just need to adjust your hunting strategy for time of the day, season, rut etc.
    SHIT HAPPENS! Usually when the big one decides to show himself!

I'm a big fan of very early mornings, but deer are around during the day, especially this time of year.

Like many others have already said, if you have the opportunity to get out (no matter what time of day), do it!

Good luck and look forward to seeing pics of the buck you shot at 10:15!

Damn near every animal out group has gotten is mid day. Get out when ya can, the deer don’t teleport to another planet once the sun comes up.

While I am an early morning riser and first light hunter, i can honestly say the vast majority of my late season harvests have been between 10-11 am.

Ya I’ve never shot a deer at first light.
    all between 930 and 330
    and I’m out generally dark till dark.
    Rule # 1 No talking about undies. yours or anyone elses.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    and i think a lot of it is how you hunt. deer are in different areas in the early moring and at dusk then at noon......just need to adjust your hunting strategy for time of the day, season, rut etc.
    I've got an idea of a few km where they go between cutblocks in the area, but there are a ton of other cutblocks and lakes as well. I actually think I should go out deeper into them, but the first area I found has so much sign and vantage points - I have to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlt1 View Post
    ...Good luck and look forward to seeing pics of the buck you shot at 10:15!
    Here's hoping!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    Damn near every animal out group has gotten is mid day. Get out when ya can, the deer don’t teleport to another planet once the sun comes up.
    Good to know, I could have come out quite a few times for partial day hunts, I thought I had always needed to be there for first light – now I know better!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    While I am an early morning riser and first light hunter, i can honestly say the vast majority of my late season harvests have been between 10-11 am.
    This is encouraging to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by the hopper View Post
    Ya I’ve never shot a deer at first light.
    all between 930 and 330
    and I’m out generally dark till dark.
    Encouraging as well!

If I get anything, I'll post it here! Heck, if I don't, I'll share anything I learned...

Thanks and good night!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Contrary to popular belief deer are metaurnal(sp?) Meaning they get up multiple times a day.

Most of the north American species of deer do a lot of movement at night once velvet is off, ending at dawn and starting again at dusk. They do get up to move, eat, drink, etc mid day.

Does are less this way and more active during the day, during the rut it's less important. But at any time of year deer get shot at any time of day. Just get out there.

Try to shut the door quietly and check the wind before still hunting into your spot. Go slower than you think you need to.