Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: How important is first light...?

Re: How important is first light...?

My buck a few days ago was first light, my buck last year was too. both at the end of November. However I have shot many deer at 10 am, 2pm etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SR80 View Post
    I dont think ive ever killed anything at first light, most success for me is usually after 10am

It depends on a lot of things. Where I was just whitetail hunting the only time I would see anything was the first 30 minutes of daylight and the last 30 minutes of light. Very high pressure area though. I ended up getting my buck at daybreak and was home in time for breakfast.

I find lately that I'm shooting most of my game animals (except for whitetails) between 10 am and 2 pm.

Dusk has always in the past been the most productive hunting time for me.

Of all the critters Ive take over the years, I've only ever had 1 deer at first light. Almost half have been between 1030-1400, and the remainder have been the last hour of the day. I rarely worry about smacking a deer on the highway in the morning hours, but sure as hell have had some crazy experiences coming home at night...

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Yeah not like it makes a huge difference. Its usually to dark to shoot within a half hour anyway haha.
    Jelvis hunts with the high beams.

Well thanks for all the feedback, this is a game changer for me - I literally thought that if I could not make first light, then it would not be worth doing a partial day hunt... man the different choices I would have made over the last couple months! Well the word 'Rookie' is in my signature for a reason

Season's not over yet though...

All the very best to everyone!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

The majority of largest bucks I have ever seen were at the earliest few minutes of first light. Having said that the 0900 o'clock witching hour is were the majority of my bucks are shot for me ,not the biggest!

"Road hunting" the first 1/2 hour of the morning and say the last 45 minutes in my opinion might be a good idea if it doesn't take long to hike into your still hunting area.
    For me, it takes too long, so I have parked the truck already before first light and started my hike up to hunt down.
    But over the years, the 2 best times to see deer "in a truck" for me are those 2 times (first light/last light).
    (but it's not my choice of hunting, walking is)
    So, if your late getting in, you have most of the day to hike in and look around.
    Just look at all the posts and main times that people say they see bucks.
    Just remind yourself when you get discouraged, that things can change in a second, so keep alert.
    If you are not trying to hunt, then you are just out for a walk.
    Good luck