Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: National park!

National park!

Just reminding people if they don’t already know,just found out about this, they are pushing the Okanagan national park through now. Apparently there is a consultation period starting in November to January... it hasn’t been posted yet of course. So much for all those consultations the last ten years or so saying NO! I guess they just don’t care about the locals. Just another nail in the coffin. I’ve seen some talk that they will still allow hunting. But who really knows.. maybe have to pay a fee?

Link to parks canada page page with Info , and a contact at bottom of page.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/cnpn-cnnp/okanagan

it is led by Sarah Boyle federal bio. I’ve emailed parks Canada and some of the local MPs.

Feel like BC is going to lose its “public land” access soon. We need to vote out our current provincial and fed governments yesterday.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: National park!

So ranchers will continue to graze, public will still allow access, but since it would become a national park hunting wouldn't be allowed?

Seems frustrating. Thanks for bringing this up!
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

"The principal difference between a national park and a national park reserve is that the term “reserve” is used to recognize that there are unresolved claims of Aboriginal rights in the area. Indigenous peoples can continue to participate in traditional land uses and spiritual activities, and may be involved in cooperative management with Parks Canada."

So, what does that mean??
    Am I to understand that if you are not FN/Status holder, this is actually a National Park, so if you don't fall into that category, you will no longer be able to hunt there!!??

And if you are, you have just been given another private hunting reserve!!??

Please tell me my understanding is all wrong here!?
    If I am right, then holy hell, some folks are going to be upset on this forum.

I understand protecting certain habitats, particularly in this case. Its important. There are land management aside from creating a national park that can effectively manage the land and take away no rights. This to me seems like another ndp/green/trudeau bullshit tactic at acquiring votes vs actually providing anything of substance. They've put some lady from Ontario who worked on an urban park at the head of this one.

As has been said on this forum a number of times already, if we continue to sit back quietly while these things happen... they will continue to occur more and more frequently and on larger and larger scales. In the past few years think about what we've already lost. Whats being proposed. The protecting public land and defending of our rights as outdoors enthusiasts and hunters is a becoming more and more of an issue. troubling to think about

George Heyman, also in the forefront of those recent pics.

George Heyman is the worst thing that has happened to “public land” in this province in the last ten years ... or since 2013 when he was elected. Self proclaimed environmental activist, in a suite. Makes me sick and nervous what BC will be in ten years if we don’t vote accordingly and start being VOCAL. Does anyone else send letters and emails all the time? Where is our voice in all this..... I guess I’ll just go slave at work and keep my head In the sand and hope someone else takes care of it.

"4(1) Except as otherwise provided in these Regulations, no person shall
    • (a) hunt, disturb, hold in captivity or destroy any wildlife within, or remove any wildlife from, a park;"

From: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/.../FullText.html

"Parks Canada defined National Park Reserves, lands administered by the agency intended to become National Parks pending settlement of indigenous land rights and agreements for
    continued traditional use of the lands."
    From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...arks_of_Canada

View of Map: https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/cnpn-c...mmaire-summary

From what it looks like, this will close off a large amount of land that was previously able to be hunted. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a point that should also be known is the national park will be open to aboriginal hunting as well, and will just restrict residents, as it will be defined as a "National Parks Reserve". It's mentioned to be a "284-square-kilometre " piece of area, which is quite significant. If this is the case, it will result in protecting the area from some practices, but they claim it will be "providing opportunities for local residents and visitors to continue to experience and appreciate this environment"... Not sure how this is happening, since it is already open to the public and previously owned private lands and native lands won't be opening up, so it's not changing the accessible area at all.

Thumbs down Re: National park!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    ... Please tell me my understanding is all wrong here!?
    If I am right, then holy hell, some folks are going to be upset on this forum.
    You are correct.
    Why do you think the FN's, who were originally against this development, are now onside?
    The promise of another exclusive hunting area for them and them alone, coupled with the assurances they will realize the majority of jobs the park will create, was more than enough to sway them.

Certainly sucks to be a regular ol' taxpayer these days...

Ticked,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    You are correct.
    Why do you think the FN's, who were originally against this development, are now onside?
    The promise of another exclusive hunting area for them and them alone, coupled with the assurances they will realize the majority of jobs the park will create, was more than enough to sway them.

Certainly sucks to be a regular ol' taxpayer these days...

Ticked,
    Nog
    I tried talking with him and as soo as I brought up FN, you could see he was in full support og giving them whatever they asked.
    Lied about GBear just being switched to meat hunt, but in the end banned it.

This is who George Heyman is.
    He is actually the "The Main" NDP I want to see gone!, he is worse then Horgan by a long shot folks!.
    Sadly, he wins by a large amount in my riding (yes, he is my mla).
    Doubt the latte sippers and welfare recipients will vote him out next time.
    So even if the NDP are kicked out next election, EXPECT HEYMAN to be the next NDP LEADER!!

Imagine the consequences then!!
    Somehow we need a really good alternative for him in my riding so as to have him voted out next election!!
    Any Liberals listening!????

Losing opourtunuty, loss of wildlife, generally clueless/uninformed majority of BC residents , degraded habitat etc. This really sucks, wish there was somewhere I could put some money towards sticking up for the average resident hunter.......