Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ugh, nothing this season.

Re: Ugh, nothing this season.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    There is nothing illegal about shooting a deer on a skyline..

May be a bit risky if you don't know whats behind it, but definitely legal...
    Interesting, I swear in the courses it said you're not allowed to shoot unless you can see where the bullet will hit if you miss, or if it goes through the target. Maybe that was "Best practice" but explained like it was the only legal way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugg View Post
    Interesting, I swear in the courses it said you're not allowed to shoot unless you can see where the bullet will hit if you miss, or if it goes through the target.
    From a safety standpoint, best practice yes but legality no
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Lugg,
    It sounds like a pretty good season to me. Seeing that buck and missing a shot should keep you excited for a while.

I spent a lot of time with my kids, hiking and glassing without seeing animals. It was all good time.

Last year my son called in a bull moose at last light. He didn't take the shot but the excitement has kept him stoked ever since.

Good luck on the season's remainder.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

It happens. I passed on a nice muley (big body, huge rack with more points / drop that I could count) a few years back. Pretty much up top on a plateau and he's skylined up a little hill. I opted to follow him down the other side of the little hill but it was no where to be found. No regrets though. If I missed that should by bullet probably would have ended up in Salmon Arm.

Reflect back on your entire season and analyze why you didnt connect. Try to figure out what went wrong and what you can learn from this season. Learning from one trip to the next is the only way to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Reflect back on your entire season and analyze why you didnt connect. Try to figure out what went wrong and what you can learn from this season. Learning from one trip to the next is the only way to get better.
    Absolutely, It's crazy how much I've learned since we started hunting, my son as well.

I always tell people that the best part of hunting is spending time with my son. I don't care if we get something as long as we have a great time and build strong memories.

It's a little sad that this will be my first solo hunt, we've always gone together.

Lugg

We’ve all had our learning curve moments. At least I have! Screwed up insanely on two BnC mule deer and at least 4 blacktails, I did keep at the blacktails and conquer in the end. Keep at it upwards and onwards. You only learn and grow. A few years from now you’ll look back and laugh.
    Tell it how it is!!!

Good luck out there, it's not over yet

There is no losing, only learning. Great that you are sharing it with your son.

Cheers!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Never give up!
    The reward is right around the corner and the harder you work and the longer it takes just makes it that much more awesome when it all comes together.