Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugh, nothing this season.

Ugh, nothing this season.

This is our 3rd or 4th season hunting. Last year we had some luck on our last day. As we were leaving we got our first buck just off the FSR. Nice Mule.

This year my son and I spent at least 12 days out, lots of fun and bonding but no success with any of our tags.

First trip out on a long weekend we saw our first whitetail buck ever, actually our first whitetail ever. A "big one". It was early our first morning about 90 minutes into our hike. Just as my son was getting a bit defeated that we'd seen nothing I looked up and saw this buck on a ridge traveling like he was late for dinner. Very unexpected. Pointed him out and readied myself while my son tried to range him, he'd not stop moving so I gave a loud "Wooo!", he stopped dead and looked toward us. My son could not range him, and it was not a legal shot anyway as he was on the ridge with nothing to stop my bullet behind him. He moved down slightly as he continued on, now I could shoot so I gave another "Wooo!" to slow him down, he stopped... my son ranged at 200 yards (a shot I've made many times while practicing.) I adjusted my scope using the dope chart for reference... Clean miss. In my adrenaline fueled haste I used the wrong mil-dot even though I knew exactly which one I should have used. As soon as I fired I knew... it was embarrassing but I'm very happy it was a clean miss. We went up to check just to be sure. I learned a few lessons and no injury to the deer, so I'm happy though still embarrassed that I took the shot only thinking I was ready, but not actually being so.

We also took a week long trip, we do this each year. We had to leave early due to a badly worn u-joint that once found I did not want to push any further, no bearings left at all, caps where damaged. Not sure how it did not make any noise except when off-road at a steep angle. It was in bad shape. We only spent 3 days out and had just found a spot that had a lot of deer but it was about a 2 hour drive up some logging roads, then a 30-45 minute hike.

All other trips were uneventful. We saw over 50 mule doe, I swear they know they're safe because a good portion of them just sit there and look at you while they eat, even from 20 feet away. The only buck we saw all season was that first whitetail.

A cool thing this year is we actually got to sit and watch some females eat and just live life. We learned a lot about their movement, etc.

We started spotting deer that would normally have been invisible to us.

I may have one more chance as we're going to Vernon Thursday night to visit family, the last day there for whitetail bucks is the 30th which is Friday. Never hunted this area and don't know if it's worth the effort as it will likely be a FSR hunt, maybe with a bit of hiking.

Hope everyone else had better luck than us!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ugh, nothing this season.

Live and learn, sounds like you had some fun and at least got out.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Sorry to hear! Great just to get out though. Just a comment/question. I am certainly not an expert but I'd think any caliber you could use for big game if sighted in for an appropriate zero distance you should not have to adjust or check a chart on a whitetail sized animal for a 200 yard shot. ie a 200 yard zero in many calibers would only leave you 1.5-2 inches high at 100 and about 1.5-2 low at 250-270. So just aim and shoot, there is already enough excitement and nerves involved when an animal is in the sights no need to add any more complication.

Quote Originally Posted by m5wilson View Post
    Sorry to hear! Great just to get out though. Just a comment/question. I am certainly not an expert but I'd think any caliber you could use for big game if sighted in for an appropriate zero distance you should not have to adjust or check a chart on a whitetail sized animal for a 200 yard shot. ie a 200 yard zero in many calibers would only leave you 1.5-2 inches high at 100 and about 1.5-2 low at 250-270. So just aim and shoot, there is already enough excitement and nerves involved when an animal is in the sights no need to add any more complication.

Was going to say this, most deer hunting calibers zerod at 200 yards, should at 50-250ish yards be a kill if you aim dead centre of the lungs. That is to say any 1-2 inch change will be a kill.

And don't worry re the deer, my first non-road buck i saw was a doozy, but was shaking like a leaf and could never get a shot.

It will come. Sounds like you'r ealready seeing more just a matter of time.

shes not over yet..whitetails are rutting hard...i would head toward cheryville friday...go get em..

ps a
    judging distance shouldnt be so big a deal...throw your turret in the garbage..plus or minus 50yds at 200 yds shouldnt matter on a broad side shot with 90percent of bolt action calibers.

Almost everybody I know has missed a deer when getting excited....keep learning and having fun, and the harvests will eventually come..

harry they are warning shots..have to be sporting and all.

Thanks all,

Yes Walks with Deer, it was suggested by another member that I check out Cherryville. I will let everyone know if I get something!

You're all right, I likely did not have to worry about my zero at all, in my head I know this and should trust that it can be done, but then I think that if I sway just a little it's better to be on point rather than knowingly shooting non-zero, if that makes sense.

It was a high-pressure shot (for me), standing and resting on a limp tree that happened to be close did not help as much as I'd have liked. Not something I get to practice but probably should... can only blame myself.

I think it boils down to many things, new to hunting so lots of adrenaline, not wanting to let my son down, new to shooting in a high-pressure situation, living in the lower-mainland and not being able to get out and shoot enough to know everything I'd like to / need to. Also living in the lower-mainland makes it very hard to travel to the locations I like to hunt regularly enough to scout.

Lugg

There is nothing illegal about shooting a deer on a skyline..

May be a bit risky if you don't know whats behind it, but definitely legal...
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main