Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An Easy Goat Hunt....

An Easy Goat Hunt....

An easy goat hunt….well as goat hunts go, easy is relative.

Before I share a hunt from this year, backtrack to last year; where I was determined to save the tag for a late season billy. Early November I found an old billy which would unknowingly occupy all my thoughts. Initially, he stayed in very treacherous places where I’d always get cliffed out. The following week I returned with my dad. Through a break in the fog, on the same hill, we spotted him with 5 nannies/kids. The herd gave us the slip and for the next few days, we watched helplessly, catching the odd glimpse of them going up into the fog and down the valley.

I returned by myself in the last week of November, to tough it out until the season closed….if need be. The day after arrival I was fortunate enough to have taken that old goat by noon. I came out of that season with a sprained wrist, stiches in my thigh, a busted lower lip, chipped front tooth and of course the severed/torn extensor tendon. I had some minor surgery but I can thankfully say everything healed perfectly. Typing this as the freezing is slowly coming out of my jaw lol (the tooth being the last to get fixed). It was all worth it and something I shall never forget.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...n+goat+success

I got the goat back from the taxidermy recently. Sadly, no space is available on a wall at this time.

This was supposed to be a compilation of the 2018 season, harvested animals, scenery, live moose/elk/sheep/bears etc but I got lazy and decided to keep it strictly to the one day goat jaunt I experienced a couple months back. I figured after last year that the big guy could give me an easy goat in 2018 ha.

This years goat coming up!
    Continued…..
    Last edited by Kopper; 11-26-2018 at 11:51 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: An Easy Goat Hunt....

I remember that write-up....that was a hard earned goat. Looks great.

That was a heck of a hunt, and story!! I’d be clearing wall off for that mount .

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    That was a heck of a hunt, and story!! I’d be clearing wall off for that mount .
    yeah no shit !! me too

I had 3 days to pull it off. I was set to return to town October 1st as I had a friend arriving that night. We had taken the following week off to get my buddy his first goat. So, I packed my gear and prepared to leave bright and early for a quick solo backpack hunt for the next few days.

Early came, teeth brushed and loading the truck in the dark with wheels rolling by 5. I choose this time because the sun will just be starting to make the trail bright. Jamming out to Octane for the last few hours really helps to wake yourself up and provide some motivation to get on the trail.

The trail starts following a large river. Good trail except, like so many other trails when ridden with a horse the brush is either too low or the horse pushes it away from you. Walking you're definitely going to be eating some bush. The valley is choked straight with willows, rather thick and the river often muffles the sound of anything....Hate it, but it does look great from above with the leaves changing.

At this point in the year there is very few guys still out hunting. Most seem to be concentrated at the large trail heads with the odd guy scattered at various hike in locations. Regardless though, the inconspicuous drainage I'll be going into is usually left alone. It's small and with not many sheep!

After a few hours on the trail a quick turn onto a dried old creek bed leaves me bush whacking through a choked up narrow canyon. A little while later the crappy part is over and the bottom of the drainage opens up slightly; just perfect for walking on the dry boulders. Its a steep drainage as I gained elevation quickly but it doesn't continue for much longer. A bit further a dry tributary branches off and you can see either end of the drainage. It would've been somewhere around 11 at this time.
    Last edited by Kopper; 11-27-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Won't miss this one !

I find that on this side of the rocks the super dense goat hills are on closure and other than a few pockets with low numbers the rest of the goats remain mostly transient. This area usually has a couple kicking around but nothing special, so I'm really not expecting to be choosey Coming from a guy that hunts low density areas for goats, I'm used to it.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day, the sun was shining with few clouds in the sky. It's a perfect time to glass when the sun first warms the hills on any given day. As I'm making my way up the rather steep gulley I notice the first goats with the naked eye as they come into view. Nestled on a protruding cliff edge they eagerly soak up the Vitamin D. I count 6.....1 big nanny, 2 younger nannies, 1 kid, a yearling nanny and a 2 year old bill. Great to see, but I wasn't interested. Soon after they picked up and began to exit the valley.

I continue along. I spotted another goat well up the hill but getting a different angle brought up 4 more. They were working towards where I originally saw the first group, just higher up. There was one goat that was trailing the nannies and kid; add in its bigger body size and my interest was spiked.

I pulled the spotter out and watched them for a half hour or so. I put him at 4 years old, which just so happens to be my minimum. IME a 3 year old still sports a teenage face, where as a 4 year old has a more adult face. After 4 it gets hard to accurate judge the exact age. I added this goat to the hit list, but I really had no intention to climb that high today. I had 3 days and they needed to bed somewhere...An opportunity would present. I was in awe, the most goats I've ever seen in here (even on a few day trip) was 6 up until today.

I took the time to throw my eyes up onto the hill from the direction I came. Wasn't long and I picked out a couple sheep. Indeed, a swing of the spotter showed 3 rams bedded below the rocky stuff. I zoomed in but alas, they were all young 3-4ish year olds. Sheep hide amazingly well so out of habit I zoomed out just to assess the surrounding area for anything missed. I actually laughed out loud to myself on the hill....

There was a goat sleeping just above these rams. Another goat....
    It was actually a neat shot. Not often you can get goats and sheep in a clip that close together. Sheep are in the bottom left and the goat is top third in the middle if ya haven't found him yet.

Anyways, this was a good goat and something I would indeed go after. Being around 130 there’s plenty of day left.
    Last edited by Kopper; 11-27-2018 at 08:17 PM.

I had to back track alittle until I came to a skinny chute that went straight up the hill. It had an animal trail going the length of it up the one side to where the chute and trail dissipates just below, and off from the rams. I dropped all my overnight gear at the bottom to allow for a quicker ascent; as I'd be camping here anyways it seemed like a logical location. The trail was quite steep, steep enough that you'd go for a tumble if you slipped, but it came with enough foot holds to make it a secure ascent.

The game trail made this quick. According to the contours on my GPS app I needed to gain just over 300 vertical meters to be at the ram level. Drenched in sweat I was there a mere half hour later. Now, I wasn't sure how I was going to get to this goat. Ideally in this case the rams wouldn't be there and I could sneak up from below and shoot him down. But, busting the rams would more than likely alert the goat, hmmmm. Wind was good, going from top to bottom. I decided I would hit the rock wall in front and slowly climb up and around until I ran into the goat.

Staring at the wall, alittle intimidated mind you.... I look over my other direction and see a distinct white blob on an outcropping maybe around a half km away. I hit the decks and pulled out the spotter. Sure enough a good, distinctively old billy was snoozing on a rock out cropping just below my elevation; and just below the rock wall.