Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An Easy Goat Hunt....

Re: An Easy Goat Hunt....

This was most fortunate as I think the chance of success going after the other goat was fair at best. Now with the elevation advantage and the wind still going down I damn near had my cross hairs on him. From where I was it looked like I could pop out on an outcropping just above him and probably 50 yards or so. The stalk was on!

I tried to hold my elevation as I had landmarked the route the best I could and somewhat knew where I wanted to be. It is tough though with all the vertical little chutes and imperfections of any mountain; stuff you can never see from the bottom. I found myself constantly zig zaging up and down to stay on the small patches of vegetation or solid rock. It was steep enough that if I stepped on any loose scree that it would tumble and make a bunch of noise.

It wasn't long and I saw what looked like the final outcropping I wanted to reach. The only problem was I was rushing as the wind was now going almost completely cross slope with a gentle angle downhill, EXACTLY towards to goat. I knew if that goat was still there that things would happen fast. I dropped my pack and got the rifle in the ready for the final stretch.
    Last edited by Kopper; 11-28-2018 at 12:49 PM.

A wise man once told me "if something doesn't go haywire on a goat hunt, you aren't hunting goats"

Quote Originally Posted by decker9 View Post
    That was a heck of a hunt, and story!! I’d be clearing wall off for that mount .
    Hopefully I will be moving soon so trying to avoid more holes ha.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    A wise man once told me "if something doesn't go haywire on a goat hunt, you aren't hunting goats"
    Oh yes, you certainly would know too. Not often its for the better lol

I wasn't sprinting but I was certainly moving as quick as possible now. The bluff I was waiting for was so close. As I began to round it my pace slows... Quickly the goat comes into view, slightly lower on the rock outcropping I'd last seen him on. I was expecting a quick off hand shot but to my surprise he was farther away. I quickly laid on the ground and got the crosshairs above him. He was facing away but looking back right at me.

It was no more than 7 seconds from eye contact to the first trigger pull, but there was a lot to think about and a decision to be made. I'm confident in sexing so it was more the shot. I wouldn't take this shot if it was a straight ass approach, but the slight elevation gain would give me a small window to slip one in the ribs, missing the guts. I've made this shot before so no biggie.

There was no ranging and no scope tweaking, with my right leg hanging off the edge I laid the gun down and quickly squeezed the trigger. It was a good hit, the goat sprawled out at the shot. I let him have another one, and then a third. I almost always empty clips on goats or bears.... I later range it at 207 yards.

It was done. Completely exhausted and soaking wet from that uphill sprint I gathered my pack and made my way over to that goat.

Pics coming asap. Just gotta eat.
    Last edited by Kopper; 11-28-2018 at 07:45 PM.

I was more than happy with the old billy, another 10 year old with a decent set of daggers on him and good hair.

Two shots had hit within a couple inches of each other, right where they were supposed to. One exited low in the neck and the other out the brisket; no idea what happened to the third shot. Accubonds do it again....You'll see the goat was quite healthy, a big pig at that too. Quite fatty for only having a portion of two teeth left lol.

Sorry about the close ups. I'm picky when it comes to scenery shots. Not sure why they appear so big and in your face when not on a mobile either!
    Last edited by Kopper; 11-28-2018 at 09:02 PM.

I snapped a few photos then wrapped a glove on either horn and a stanfield around his head. Gave him a quick boot off the tiny ledge he was on to a nicer and bigger spot to work on. I remember last year it took hours to cape and debone the goat, while slowly sliding down the hill ha, but I finished this goat off in 1.5hrs. I had a tough call to make... Camp on the hill and walk out in the light tomorrow or do the hike today and inevitably walk out in the dark....Really didn't want to do either but a few hours worrying a bear is going to eat me versus a whole night of it won me over.

I made my way down to the bottom to collect my camp gear. Now, I usually knock Stone Glacier, specifically the packs having the space they claim. Well I still call bull on 6900 CI but it did a damn good job with all my gear, goat meat, and cape/head.

For those that are interested. My gear for 3-4 days is down to 32-33lbs, this includes pack and food but doesn't include my rifle or water. Now, I was looking at somewhere alittle over 100lbs.

Yep those are Costco hiking poles. 2 years of abuse, just missing most of the cork on the handles from blasted rodents.

It was dark not long after this picture. I have to say the bush whacking section blew chunks. Due to the couple impassible chutes, I had to climb up to avoid them. The stupidly heavy pack made the glutes burn but these should be the only stops on the trip. Once back into the main valley I went as quick as possible making better time than coming in actually. All the moisture in every exhale was lit up from the headlamp and sure I got smacked with a great number of willows. It was alittle uneasy traveling out in the dark.....

Soon enough, I made it back to the truck and then returned to town around midnight. Not a single injury lol.

Rethinking this....I guess it wasn't that easy, just easier than other years. A lot which I fully acknowledge was luck.

I'm just finishing up the euro for this guy, should have pics in a couple days. Other than that, hope you enjoy. Goat hunts are certainly my favorite to do or read about, hopefully more people will post theirs.
    Last edited by Kopper; 11-28-2018 at 09:41 PM.

Nice job beautiful goat.